• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trace

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/image-trace.html#tracing-option-presetI'm trying to clean up a jpg photo of a black and white line drawing from an old book, I thought it would be so easy and quick using Trace in AI, I want to turn it into a vector image and get rid of the anti-aliasing

How to edit artwork in Illustrator using Image Trace

I'm following the above Tut but at position 4, I click Object>Image Trace>Expand and the Image Trace in the properties panel grays out and is not accessible only when I undo does it return so I can't advance any further. How can I make manual changes in the Image Trace if this is the case?

But have you better approaches to this exercise ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you expand the image trace it becomes editable Illustrator vector art. It is only before expanding that it is uneditable. You can possibly understand this better if after you do the image trace and before you expand you go into the artwork mode [Command (Mac)/Control (PC)-Y]. You will see nothing there! Then after you do the expand when you go into the artwork mode you will see the complete lifework for your drawing which is now completely editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your description I'm not sure what you're stuck on, but it should be easy to trace the black and white artwork in your book.

Place the art on the Illustrator artboard.

Select the art and click on Image Trace.

Choose Black and White Logo from the list.

If the lines need adjusting, open the Image Trace panel and use the sliders.

When satisfied, click Expand.

Once you click Expand, the image will be converted to smooth vector objects. All of the objects will be filled shapes, and they will be grouped.

It is often not easy to make changes to the resulting vector art (other than coloring it or resizing it), so make as many adjustments as you need while using the Image Trace panel, before you Expand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Here is the results of your reply, after (top) and before (below) they are at 600% ss done.JPG

ss before.JPG

I had my Preset on Outline but B&W logo is better, the project forms part text and graphics (here) the text I clean up in A Acrobat DC and I will try and clean up the characters AA DC. Not got my head round what Expand does, I know it vectors,

ss expand.JPG

and why all the blue paths appear? Can you please just say something about saving ? My aim was clean up these and I'm happy with the result, not sure I needed the vectoring as I will place these images along side text eventually for people print off as a PDF.

Thank you again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stevef30209121  schrieb

Not got my head round what Expand does, I know it vectors,

"Expand" makes editable vector paths out of the live object.

Please do read the documentation.

How to edit artwork in Illustrator using Image Trace

The blue lines are the paths.

Illustrator Help | Illustrator User Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I've been using these vids but they need going through several times for me to grasp and apply (I'm 68) along with having AI open

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When tracing, Expand converts what you are seeing in the preview to a group of vector paths and discards the original image. When the paths are selected, the default highlight color is blue.

Illustrator's trace is not accurate enough for text so it is good that you are replacing the text.

You may or may not need the trace, depending on how high the resolution is of your scan.

When saving as a PDF for print, Illulstrator Default should work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

a black and white line drawing from an old book

Just to make sure, I hope the book is old enough for the drawing to be beyond copyright issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides, Daisy Duck won't be too impressed if Donald turns up wearing all those scruffy image trace artefacts..

A better approach?, might be to learn to use the Pen Tool, or a brush  with a drawing tablet.

If it's a one off thing look for a better quality image to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the Pen would be the best choice, the most accurate and fastest. But it is possible that steve30209121 has a deadline and not enough time to become proficient with the Pen. In the long run, putting the time in to practice with the Pen will pay off in spades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Here is the original, before putting it through PS just to turn B&W, it's actually done on a home made book scanner so it's a camera JPG, I chose a complicated of the drawing it must be said and it's not a one off as there are many, but simpler.

raw crop.jpg

Yes I have used and considered my pen & tablet it's a choice I need to look at again.  But after having another few attempts it looks like it's going to be a trade off between losing some detail in the center and having clean lines to the spirals. I've settled on what you advised but saving by Export (JPG) as opposed to PDF, that's fine with what I want achieve. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I chose the most complicated of the drawings it must be said and it's not a one off as there are many but simpler. Yes I have used and considered my pen & tablet it's a choice I need to look at again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I checked all that the author died in 1934, plus 70 years so it was out of copyright 15 years ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trace is nice.... but sometimes if it easier using the image as template and simply rebuilding it as vector graphic. 

I do this all the time with the characters I design.  Some I draw out in my notebook, then I quickly take a pic with my cell and then place them in Illustrator and simply turn them into a template.  Then in a new layer I start building the character as a vector graphic.

Or if it is a book... you can use the Adobe Apps to capture it as vector graphic as well and then simply import it into your library.  But the cleaner way is to simply recreate it from scratch.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes your right that is the course I may take with some drawings. There is a lot of stuff to clean up I'm just going through/finding out what approach is best. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines