Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing book

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

I'm using InDesign for the first time.  I created a 42 page book but it was after I finished that entire thing that I created the book in the wrong size. Instead of starting over what is the easiest way you resize the whole book. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*A little background I use the InDesign in Adobe Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

You seem to be working in picas. Best to reset the measurements to inches or millimetres, which you can do in InDesign preferences  in Ruler Units under the Units & Increments tab . Set them without any document open and all future documents will use these units.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to this friendly forum.

What is the trimmed page size now and what is the size you want it to be?

By the way 42 pages is a strange page extent – something like 48 pages (or maybe 44) would be usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You right its only 40 pages. I'm having trouble locating that trimmed page size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Document Setup... will give you the page dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its currently set for width 48p0 and height it 48p0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to be working in picas. Best to reset the measurements to inches or millimetres, which you can do in InDesign preferences  in Ruler Units under the Units & Increments tab . Set them without any document open and all future documents will use these units.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Derek for all your help this morning. Making that change really helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be checking out those tutorials going forward before I start a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is a professional level publishing application with a steep learning curve. I suggest you take a course –  Personal training is probably the best but most expensive, there are also some excellent book and there are online video tutorials, such as those from Lynda.com (you can get a 30-day free trial) for example: InDesign CC 2018 Essential Training  And free ones from Adobe that come with the Creative Cloud App.

And, of course, come back to this forum with specific questions.

The final piece of advice, make regular, incrementally named back-up copies of of your documents and keep additional copies externally. We regularly get reports of people loosing hours of work for various reasons and they don't have a spare copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will. Thank you. Have an amazing day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try the QuickResize script from ID-Extras. I have no affiliation with this company, only a satisfied user. Here's the link:

https://www.id-extras.com/products/quickresize

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines