Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set the Reading Options on a PDF

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Community - this is my first question so please be kind

We have a few English PDFs on our website that we'd like to automatically open in French.  Is it possible to adjust the properties on a PDF to do this? Or at least have a pop up that quickly allows the user to convert it to french? 

In the  PDF settings in Adobe Acrobat Pro there is a  "Reading Options" under File > Properties > Advanced and I've set this to French but it doesn't seem to do anything. 

If anyone has a solution for this problem, would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Zina Nelku

Toronto, Canada  

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

We have a few English PDFs on our website that we'd like to automatically open in French.

Do you mean that you want the English text translated into French?

I don't believe that's possible, unless someone has a translation app or script to translate from one language to another.

In the  PDF settings in Adobe Acrobat Pro there is a  "Reading Options" under File > Properties > Advanced and I've set this to French but it doesn't seem to do anything.

This setting doesn't translate the PDF. It merely te

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We have a few English PDFs on our website that we'd like to automatically open in French.

Do you mean that you want the English text translated into French?

I don't believe that's possible, unless someone has a translation app or script to translate from one language to another.

This setting doesn't translate the PDF. It merely tells assistive technologies (like screen readers) which dictionary to use for pronouncing the words.

With your settings, a screen reader user will hear English voiced with a French accent. Which some of us would consider very very sexy! Oo-la-la! Qui qui!   But then again, I'm American of French decent so hearing that would remind me of my grandmother <grin>.

Solution:

Create a French version of the PDF...that is, translate the content into French, make its PDF, and set it's File / Properties to French language.

We work with quite a few Canadian colleagues and I know they always post 2 versions of PDFs on their websites, French and English. Two separate documents, two separate PDFs.

Best to you!

PS:

this is my first question so please be kind

I think we're a nice bunch here on this Forum. After all, everyone here volunteers to contribute and we're all working folks who've been in your shoes. We're just trying to help our colleagues like you and share our knowledge.

And if we weren't nice enough, I think the Adobe staff that moderates the Forum would boot us out!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines