• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it okay to downgrade flash player from version 30 to 29 (latest 29)

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am wondering if flash player can be safely downgraded from version 30 to the latest version of 29. The version 30 is not working for a game that I am trying to play and people had said to downgrade the version. Is it safe? Or should I wait for the update of the game to fix itself?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We never recommend downgrading, especially when a release contains 0-day security fixes.  Flash Player 30 contains a security fix that affects the getTimer() method, which is used in many games (see Performance Issues in Flash 30. for more information).  The behaviour your seeing is most likely due to this.  There is an option to disable this in the mms.cfg configuration file.  For more information refer to the Spectre/Meltdown Mitigations section of the Release Notes Flash Player 30 AIR 30 .  For information on the location of the mms.cfg file, see chapter 4 of the Flash Player Administrator's Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, should I wait for the update or should I do the mms.cfg file?

By the way, the game is not from Scratch or anything, it's from ninja kiwi's SAS 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The change was due to a 0-day security fix.  It won't be reverted/fixed in a future release.

The link I referred to was for Scratch, but the issue impacts any content using getTimer(), which many games do.

You can downgrade, but since the release contains a 0-day fix browsers may block it (for example, Mozilla has been known to do this).  I would edit the mms.cfg file as indicated in the Release Notes, instead of downgrading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me but I really have difficulty to find the fix you suggest "editing the mms.cfg"

I am doing a research in the PDF document and there is 93 result found

Can you please explain how to do this, because I have problems on a website , it became laggy since the new fix, I must do something because I contacted the website, they told me they are working on it but it doesn't seems to change.

Youtube used to have somehow this kind of problem, and it was never fixed, ever

Since they dropped flash, it's much better

I need to delete this new fix, by editing the mms.cfg file

How can I do this please, can you tell me where to find it on which page of the PDF

or can you tell me a step by step instruction please

Thank you, I guess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've replied to your post at Editing the mms.cfg file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines