• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 7 - Intermittently missing the space after bolded text in

Contributor ,
Mar 12, 2008 Mar 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've converted a project of 800+ topics to RoboHelp 7 and updated our software with the new latest patch 7.01.001. The funky character issues have gone away but now, we noticed that we're intermittently missing the space after bolded words. I've check the HTML code and it is the coding is the same for all of the bolded words within a topic, yet one word will be missing space and all of the other bolded words won't.

This applies to topics that were created in RH7 before the patch as well topics that were coverted from RH5 to RH6 and then to RH7. Also, applies to topics to were originally imported into RH5 or RH6 from Word.
The formatting looks like this: "It does <span style="font-weight: bold;">not</span> post in PARA or DBS.

Sometimes, I see the end code is </span><span></span> --or -- </span> <spaces>
I've also seen <b> word </b>

Problem is that it is inconsistent and we have over 800 topics within our project. To check each topic in the generated version and then go back to Edit will take forever.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Dec 17, 2008 Dec 17, 2008
Thanks. I'll try that. Also, there have been a few dll releases in the last few bug fixes for RH7 that seemed to have resolved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention that we only see the missing space after the bolded word in the generated topics. Everything looks just fine when we're editing the topic or select the preview option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention that we only see the missing space after the bolded word in the generated topics. Everything looks just fine when we're editing the topic or select the preview option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 13, 2008 Mar 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you upgrade a project, RH 7 updates html code in topics. It does pretty well cleaning up, but I've noticed the occasional missing space between normal and styled text.

A key question is, for a given browser in a given environment, should the space before the first word be in front of the <span> tag or behind it? Similarly, should the space after the final word in the afftected text be in front of the </span> tag or behind it?.

In source topics, where should the space go? It depends on how you selected the text to be styled. You shouldn't have to worry about this, but it makes a difference in topics that originated in RH6 and earlier.

Maybe someone has a more elegant solution, but I resolved this by brute force.

I used a text editor (I like FAR) on all topic source files to ensure that each string has a space before <span and </span>

So I replaced every <span tag with (space)<span>, and every </span> with (space)</span>.

Of course, I ended up with (space)(space)<span all over the place, So I went back with the text editor and replaced (space)(space) with (space).

RH 7 output looks like this:
(space)<span.....><b>textextext</b>(space)</span>textextext...

Where I had (space)</span>(space) I removed the second space, but I'm not sure it was necessary.

The <spaces> tags you see in the source file indicates you may have double spaces in the text. That's a separate issue.

You might try this on a file or two manually and see what comes out. Good luck.

Harvey

(Edited to clarify the issuee of where the spacees are in relation to the tags.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 17, 2008 Dec 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to solve this issue is not to enable the option "W3C compliant topics" when generating the webhelp output. If you do this, you may get the "married words" issue. I have also experienced this problem, as well as other work mates, and it was solved disabling the "W3C compliant topics" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to solve this issue is not to enable the option "W3C compliant topics" when generating the webhelp output. If you do this, you may get the "married words" issue. I have also experienced this problem, as well as other work mates, and it was solved disabling the "W3C compliant topics" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks. I'll try that. Also, there have been a few dll releases in the last few bug fixes for RH7 that seemed to have resolved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp