• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something For The Weekend — Part 26 — Castletown

Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm putting up the image for this week's challenge.  This is Castletown in the Isle of Man.  It's a busy image with no clear focal point, which might give more options.  You decide.  The image is one of a few that remind me of the importance of keeping the camera rock solid, as it nice and sharp, but just taken with a little Canon G1X Compact firmly rested on the castle ramparts. 

If you are a regular SFTW poster, you might see some new names this week as we are going to promote it in some of the other Adobe forums like The Lounge, Illustrator, and any others that Dave — who originally had the idea of these challenges — can think of.  So a big welcome if you have joined us from another forum. 

As usual, Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc. Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side. To download the image below without the forum scaling artefacts, right click and then use Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser).

Castletown.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought some cotton candy clouds and a sunset glow would look nice - so boring. So added Godzilla...

Castletown.jpg

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, Melissa, that is so awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't quite sure where to go with this one, so I started with the four seasons..

SFTW26Four-seasons.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So clever, Dave—if it's too hot or too cold, you can just take a five minute stroll!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave that snow is sensational.  What did you do to get it looking so realistic?  You have even got snow on the mooring lines, and I love that dusting on the distant trees.  It's not an easy picture to work with, and probably a bad choice to invite the other forums to.  I have put a couple of hours into my first attempt already, and it is not going to come close to your four seasons.

Melissa, your image is very in keeping with the flavour of the town.  I don't actually know if the IoM is known for mystical happenings, but I bet some of the crusty old fishermen we saw smoking their pipes while mending nets, would have a tale or two. 

Some of what the island is known for is the Manx icon

Image result for manx iom

The Laxy Wheel

And probably more than anything, the TT motorcycle races. You'd have to be incredibly brave to race a road circuit like that with the speeds they do nowadays, and dry stone walls waiting to collect you if crash at close to 200MPH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Trevor

The foreground snow is painted on a layer set to screen blending mode and opacity 66%.

The mid - trees are cloned from another image.

The distant hills are just an invert adjustment layer of the original image.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An educational project.  I didn't know the island is not part of the UK and have their own flag, money and postage stamps, and the Queen is their Lord.

Of course I knew they have their own cats

Week026.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Octi.jpg

Rawr! Glub? Whatever sound an octopus makes. They have beaks so....Squawk!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed the squid under the water - nice touch

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time to draw.

SFTW26Drawing.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at the map and it would appear that there is an airport close by?

SFTW26plane.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A pseudo "Little Planet":

Don't like that "Nadir", though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of those, it's difficult to know when to stop projects, and it was starting to get old. So this is where I'd had enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do like your addition of the school crossing Trevor  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

I do like your addition of the school crossing Trevor  

It might look a touch bizarre right now Dave, but will become mundane after Ged puts something up.  The tiny scale of this sort of composite, means that the tricycle and Noddy & Big Ears go unnoticed.  Busy starter images like this are not easy to work with, I am now thinking after the fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - I'd missed that !!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed them Trevor. Think my misspent youth is showing. I was also looking for Mario Kart banana skins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to look up Mario Kart, and found that it dates back to 1992.  I grew up on Bill & Ben — which had nothing to do with ice cream. That started in 1955 and I am pleased to see that it barely looks dated now.  You could easily think it a collaboration between Walt Disney and Industrial Light & Magic.

Flober-dob.  Weeeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wondered how they got the boats past that bridge...…….

SFTW26Bridge.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nicely thought out Dave.  Shadows in the right places, and fences to stop the traffic.  I'd have had to put some people sliding down the bridge :-).  Or maybe a couple flying through the air (quick opening bridge)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some great creativeness ....... I'll have to watch for more of these challenges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There will be a new one on Friday Brad

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines