5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2008 4:03 PM by Newsgroup_User

CD spins down

nsharma
      I am using Director MX on XP SP2 and have quite a large project, which is using images, audio and mpg movies. My problem is that when there is user inactivity the CD Rom spins down, which means that it take good 10 seconds before the CD spins gets back to speed as the user clicks on something. How do I overcome this problem?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that you can write a script which access a file or write a file during user inactivity. I would greatly appreciate help as I am close to my deadline.
        • 1. Re: CD spins down
          nsharma Level 1
          Has no one elese encountered this problem when using a laptop? How do you overcome it then?
          • 2. Re: CD spins down
            Level 7
            You can set a timeout object to run every few seconds, or however often
            you want, and have it read in the contents of a file on the CD. Or in
            any way access the info on the CD. Then the disk will not stop spinning.
            • 3. Re: CD spins down
              Level 7
              Thanks Mike. Would you mind sharing the codes as I am not familiar with it?

Nishi

--

"Mike Blaustein" <mblaustein@gmail.com> wrote in message
              news:frk373$j8r$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > You can set a timeout object to run every few seconds, or however often
              > you want, and have it read in the contents of a file on the CD. Or in any
              > way access the info on the CD. Then the disk will not stop spinning.

• 4. Re: CD spins down
                Level 7

Use this to start your timeout (place this code in startMovie or
                anywhere you want to start the process):

vTimeOut = timeOut("checkCD")
                if ilk(vTimeOut) = #timeout then
                vTimeOut = timeOut("checkCD").new(10000, #checkCD)
                else
                vTimeOut = timeOut().new("checkCD", 10000, #checkCD)
                end if

That will make a timout that calls the checkCD() handler every 10
                seconds. Then, make a movieScript that does this (it just checks to see
                what is on the CD)

on checkCD
                test=getNthFileNameInFolder(the moviePath,1)
                end

This assumes that the projector is actually running off the CD. If it
                isn't then adjust the checkCD() handler so that it checks the CD instead
                of the moviePath

• 5. Re: CD spins down
                  Level 7
                  Thank you SO much Mike. I will try this out tomorrow and let you know how I
                  get on.

Thanks for taking time to reply to my question - much appreciated.

--

"Mike Blaustein" <mblaustein@gmail.com> wrote in message
                  news:frk636$mci$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >
                  > Use this to start your timeout (place this code in startMovie or anywhere
                  > you want to start the process):
                  >
                  > vTimeOut = timeOut("checkCD")
                  > if ilk(vTimeOut) = #timeout then
                  > vTimeOut = timeOut("checkCD").new(10000, #checkCD)
                  > else
                  > vTimeOut = timeOut().new("checkCD", 10000, #checkCD)
                  > end if
                  >
                  > That will make a timout that calls the checkCD() handler every 10 seconds.
                  > Then, make a movieScript that does this (it just checks to see what is on
                  > the CD)
                  >
                  > on checkCD
                  > test=getNthFileNameInFolder(the moviePath,1)
                  > end
                  >
                  > This assumes that the projector is actually running off the CD. If it
                  > isn't then adjust the checkCD() handler so that it checks the CD instead
                  > of the moviePath