2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2008 6:44 AM by arlimitless

FLA PROMOTIONAL SITE + FLEX

arlimitless
      Hi,

I need to determine wheather this is possible or not use. I have an ASP.NET / SQL SERVER 2005 backend and and full flash front-end. The FLASH is an 'animation' with tours for buildings and user zones.

It is possible to edit the FLASH and bind the flash controls with the database using Flex 3 to add comments and use data from the database?

Does make any sense?
        • 1. Re: FLA PROMOTIONAL SITE + FLEX
          SujitG Level 2
          Hi,
          As per my understanding you want to allow your users to add comments to a Flash control/component and then store it in the database.
          If this is what you want, then you can achieve this using Flex 3. First is you can use your Flash components in Flex. Second is to write scripts which will use HTTPService to communicate to your ASP.NET page. Your ASP pages should communicate to your database.

Please find more details on accessing server side at this URL: http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/data_access_1.html

For more details on including Flash assets in Flex application visit this URL:
          http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flex_component_workflow.html

Hope this helps
          • 2. Re: FLA PROMOTIONAL SITE + FLEX
            arlimitless Level 1
            Thank you for your response.

Let me explain my situation with more detail.

We have a complete web site designed with FLASH. The web site is similuar to a TOUR site, but with a interactive components. You have five rooms, and in each room the users will have a certain functionality involving database interaction. For example, comments, randmon posts from the DB, articles on grids, etc.

Our first idea was to build this objects purely will Flash using actionscripts and web services to connect to the DB.

At some point, someone suggest us to evalute Flex to builds those controls and DB interaction.

I need to determine the best, easy and cost efficient course of action.

Should we continue with flash+web services or Flex is a better option? Is there any benefit involved in using Flex?