• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Duplicate' Lightroom imports

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something odd has happened to my last Lightroom import, and I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on it...

I took some photos on Friday morning, uploaded them and cleared the SD card, then took some more in the afternoon. Mixed in with the afternoon's uploads are duplicates of the morning's uploads (though they have exactly the same file number, so I guess, strictly speaking, they aren't duplicates). If you delete one, it deletes the other, but if you edit one, it doesn't edit the other. 

What's strange is that the 'duplicate' shots are labelled with different camera settings - for example the first one has settings of 1/250, f2.8, ISO 200 (the settings I used to take the shot), while the second is 1/250, f5.6, ISO 3200.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened?!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

I can't explain exactly what happened or why, but if the afternoon photos have exactly the same file names as the morning photos, these should not be considered duplicates in Lightroom as the capture date and time will differ.

However, people have reported bugs with regard to this process where they always reset the file counter in the camera to 0001, and so each shoot has the identical file names, and sometimes Lightroom gets confused. So perhaps a change to make that will fix this problem is to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the resulting duplicate images identical in histogram and look on your screen, but still have different exposure settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tony_See Yes, exactly this. The histograms are identical, but the exposure settings are different (in every case, the first version of the picture has the settings that I shot in, and the second has a narrower aperture/higher ISO to reach the same exposure).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't explain exactly what happened or why, but if the afternoon photos have exactly the same file names as the morning photos, these should not be considered duplicates in Lightroom as the capture date and time will differ.

However, people have reported bugs with regard to this process where they always reset the file counter in the camera to 0001, and so each shoot has the identical file names, and sometimes Lightroom gets confused. So perhaps a change to make that will fix this problem is to rename the photos in the afternoon shoot so that maybe LR won't get confused, and then import the renamed photos again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dj_paige Thank you, this is a good tip - I'll give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having this issue since the latest Lightroom Update. Every time I insert my SD card it will re-import previous images and create duplicates. The "Don't import suspected duplicates" check box is checked. In all the years this has always worked and is definately since the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines