3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2008 2:26 PM by Style Council

Windows Properties

Style Council Level 1
      Since you can assign different window properties to the appearance of a topic accessed from the TOC, it seems like you would be able to assign a windows property to a topic in its topic properties, but I don't see how. Can you do this? You can assign a style sheet and template to topics individually. Either I'm missing something or the windows option would be nice to have in the product and arguably should already be there. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Windows Properties
          Pete Lees Level 2
          Hi, Style Council,

In compiled HTML Help (.chm) at least, and I'd expect in most browser-based formats as well, this is a limitation of the format that no help authoring tool can work around. HTML Help provides no option explicitly to associate a topic with a particular window type. This is in contrast to the old WinHelp (.hlp) format, which did permit you to bind a topic to a specific window.

When targetting a topic in an HTML Help file, whether as a help author or as an application developer, you must always specify the required window if you want to open the topic in a non-default window.

Pete
          • 2. Re: Windows Properties
            Style Council Level 1
            Pete,

Thanks very much. I feared this from some previous questions I had about secondary window-like jumps. I guess I'm still stuck on the old secondary windows we used as procedure files in Winhelp.

Kevin
            • 3. Re: Windows Properties
              Style Council Level 1
              Pete,

Thanks very much. I feared this from some previous questions I had about secondary window-like jumps. I guess I'm still stuck on the old secondary windows we used as procedure files in Winhelp.

Kevin