2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2008 2:04 PM by tomaugerdotcom

Flex 3 SDK Samples error

tomaugerdotcom Level 1
      Hey all, here's my story:

Brand new Windows XP installation with almost nothing on it but CS3 and office.

Just downloaded the Flex SDK 3 (latest build) and installed to C:\FLEX...

Installed the latest Flash 9 standalone projector player (with debugger).

Of course, I was missing JRE, so, after painstakingly hunting around through documentation, downloaded it from java.org. Hey - now I can compile stuff using mxmlc.exe! Fantastic.

Ran the batch compile of the Samples/explorer app. After the (painstakingly long) build, I launched the explorer.html file. While the treeview on the left works fine, and the sourceCode viewer at the bottom as well, you don't see the control in the top right pane. Nothing at all.

Well, that's not true, I got an alert telling me there was a security violation - that explorer.swf was trying to communicate with one of the other (many) swfs in the various component folders of this app. Okay, that invoked the Flash Settings web page / control panel (you know, that thing that looks so much like a screenshot that Adobe had to put the caption under it saying "this is not a screenshot - this is the actual settings control panel"?) So, I added the explorer.swf to the "allow" tab, and for good measure, added the entire Samples folder as well. Quit everything, relaunched. No more error popup, but now nothing displays in the top right pane that should be showing me what the component looks like. Nada. Zilch.

perplexed, I ran the explorer.swf to see what errors were being thrown. Giddyup - there's still a "sandbox security violation". So now I'm stumped. I _thought_ I addressed that in the security settings CP by adding the entire folder. What else should I be doing? And more importantly, why the heck doesn't this happen to everyone else? What's different about the way I have my (nearly vanilla) system configured that I should maybe address?

Thanks in advance for your musings....

Tom
        • 1. Flex 3 SDK Samples error
          cxf02 Level 1
          Try adding a crossdomain.xml file

<?xml version="1.0"?>
          <!DOCTYPE cross-domain-policy SYSTEM " http://www.adobe.com/xml/dtds/cross-domain-policy.dtd">
          <cross-domain-policy>
          <allow-access-from domain="yourdomain.com" />
          </cross-domain-policy>
          • 2. Re: Flex 3 SDK Samples error
            tomaugerdotcom Level 1
            Well, no, I don't think this is the solution. But I did resolve the issue by going into C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrust
            (I think I actually had to create that folder) and I added a file (I arbitrarily named it "Local.cfg" but the filename is inconsequential). In the file name I added the full path to my Flex\samples folder and things are working hunky-dory.

I guess I'm wondering, if I had to do this, it's quite likely that every other Windows user in the world has to do this, so why is there no mention of it in the samples documentation?

Or, is there something bizarre going on with my settings that I should look at?