26 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2008 10:50 AM by stevenLandau

icons look fuzzy in D11

stevenLandau Level 1
      When I make a projector in Director 11 with a custom icon, it looks really crappy when I place the icon on the desktop. I am using the same .ico file in Windows that I used with Director 10, and it used to look great. Is Director 11 using a lower resolution version of the icon? How can I fix this problem?
        • 1. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
          Level 7
          Can you provide a sample ico file somewhere?
          • 2. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
            Level 7
            > Can you provide a sample ico file somewhere?

Never mind - I tried this for myself and agree: the 48x48 icon looks
            terrible. I have submitted a bug report (as I notice you did around
            alpha sorting in the debugger) - feel free to add to it.
            • 3. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
              Chunick Level 3
              what order are your icons set up in the ico file?

Microsoft's info shows this:
              48×48, 32-bit color
              48×48, 8-bit color
              48×48, 4-bit color
              32×32, 32-bit color
              32×32, 8-bit color
              32×32, 4-bit color
              16×16, 32-bit color
              16×16, 8-bit color
              16×16, 4-bit color
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICO_(icon_image_file_format)

Director's info shows this:
              48x48-pixel, 4-Bit Color
              32x32-pixel, 4-Bit Color
              16x16-pixel, 4-Bit Color
              48x48-pixel, 8-Bit Color
              32x32-pixel, 8-Bit Color
              16x16-pixel, 8-Bit Color
              48x48-pixel, 32-Bit Color
              32x32-pixel, 32-Bit Color
              16x16-pixel, 32-Bit Color
              http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_19274&sliceId=2

it might fail at two points:
              1) in the ordering of the individual icons in your icon file
              2) in the parsing of the icon file by Director when it's building your .exe and adding the icons to the resource in the Projec32.skl file.

Question - as I don't have D11 so cannot test - if you use a resource editor such as XN Resource Editor ( http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d10resourceeditor.htm) what does it show for the 48x48 resource?
              • 4. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                Level 7
                Thanks Josh - that's a useful tool.

What it shows is that the projector created with D11 is missing the
                16x16 32 Bit Colour icon and that the D10 projector contains it. Both
                projectors were created using the same ICO file.
                • 5. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                  Level 7
                  Looking at Projec32.skl with this editor, it shows the following icons
                  present:
                  16x16 16 Colour
                  16x16 256 Colour
                  32x32 256 Colour
                  48x48 16 Colour
                  48x48 256 Colour
                  32x32 32 Bit Colour
                  48x48 32 Bit Colour
                  256x256 32 Bit Colour

As opposed to Director 10's Projec32.skl which contains:
                  48x48 16 Colour
                  32x32 16 Colour
                  16x16 16 Colour
                  48x48 256 Colour
                  32x32 256 Colour
                  16x16 256 Colour
                  48x48 32 Bit Colour
                  32x32 32 Bit Colour
                  16x16 32 Bit Colour

I'll update the bug report accordingly - not necessarily a D11 error but
                  rather an alteration to the number and sizes of icon files included.
                  • 6. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                    Level 7
                    I made an ICO file with these formats in it:

> 16x16 16 Colour
                    > 16x16 256 Colour
                    > 32x32 256 Colour
                    > 48x48 16 Colour
                    > 48x48 256 Colour
                    > 32x32 32 Bit Colour
                    > 48x48 32 Bit Colour
                    > 256x256 32 Bit Colour

and published it with D11 on WinXP. When I drop the executable onto the
                    desktop, it still shows the "fuzziness" reported earlier. I'm suspecting
                    some corruption from publishing on XP with a Vista-sized icon (256x256)
                    inside it, guessing that XP doesn't understand this format.
                    Strangely, both this projector and the previous one (published with the
                    9 formats for D10) look fine in *any* other folder than the desktop.
                    What's special about this folder and the icons it displays? I rebuilt
                    the icon cache using Microangelo and the problem persists.
                    They both look fine under Vista, including in its Desktop folder.

What I haven't tested is creating a projector on Vista and viewing it on
                    an XP desktop. I will hold off updating my bug report until I've done so.
                    • 7. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                      tdriley Level 1
                      quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

When I drop the executable onto the
                      Strangely, both this projector and the previous one (published with the
                      9 formats for D10) look fine in *any* other folder than the desktop.
                      What's special about this folder and the icons it displays?

If the icon has transparency showing thru, you desktop background could be making it appear funny. If that was the case, it would look OK in other folders where the background is consistent white.

• 8. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                        Level 7
                        > If the icon has transparency showing thru, you desktop background could be
                        > making it appear funny. If that was the case, it would look OK in other folders
                        > where the background is consistent white.

No, it's "fuzzy" - check the attached bitmap at:
                        < http://directorbugs.creativeperspectives.com/bugbase/view.php?id=66>
                        • 9. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                          kindaian
                          quote:

When I drop the executable onto the

Windows vista also doesn't recognize that icon format.

When i produced projectors with versions prior to director 11, i used to replace the resources found on Projec32.skl for the icons i needed to use on the projector.

And it worked exactly as if i had used a resource editor to change the icons.

Now, with director 11, the icon with 256*256 resolution is mangled, it isn't registered into the icon group (icon 5 and 8 more exactly don't register into the icon group but are into the individual icon list - which means that you can change all icons from the it but those 2).

In the end, the director icon appears on windows vista at the high res lists/options.

Also, if you publish for both mac and pc, you can only assign one icon resourse, either it is the mac or the pc, making it impossible to assign icons for both platforms at the same time.

This is a bug (which i already reported).

Now, i also would like to know if anyone has a work-around...

Thanx in advance,
                          • 10. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                            Level 7
                            For a workaround, don't use Director's broken icon-adding method.

On PC, use a resource editor like resHacker or the easier to use Versiown.

On Mac, simply make a 64x64 32-bit PNG version of the icon and paste it
                            into the Icon area in the Get Info screen.
                            • 11. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                              Level 7
                              > Windows vista also doesn't recognize that icon format.

According to Microangelo's Help:
                              Required sizes are 256x256, 32x32, and 16x16. Optional supported sizes
                              are 128x128, 96x96, 48x48, and 24x24. Windows Vista-style icons scale
                              smoothly between 256x256 and 32x32. The 256x256 icon size is required to
                              support high-resolution monitors.

And:
                              Windows Vista requires 256x256 images to display icons at optimium
                              quality in all user scenarios. Windows platforms before Windows 2000
                              will not process icon resources that contain images larger than 72x72.
                              It seems that if an application includes hi-res images to appear great
                              under Windows Vista, its icons will only display properly under Windows
                              2000, XP, or Vista.

What's more, Director 11's projector skeleton (project32.skl) contains a
                              256x256 format, as you've seen.

> Now, with director 11, the icon with 256*256 resolution is mangled, it isn't
                              > registered into the icon group (icon 5 and 8 more exactly don't register into
                              > the icon group but are into the individual icon list - which means that you can
                              > change all icons from the it but those 2).
                              >
                              > In the end, the director icon appears on windows vista at the high res
                              > lists/options.
                              >
                              > Also, if you publish for both mac and pc, you can only assign one icon
                              > resourse, either it is the mac or the pc, making it impossible to assign icons
                              > for both platforms at the same time.
                              >
                              > This is a bug (which i already reported).

You've never been able to include a Mac icon in the Mac.app when
                              publishing from Windows, nor have you been able to include an icon for
                              the Windows.exe when publishing from Mac - this is documented AFAIK.
                              • 12. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                                kindaian Level 1
                                Unfortunatly, Reshacker only allows to replace icons registered into the icon group... And icon 5 and 8 aren't registered into it.

And Versionown and XnResource don't replace them as well.

I've replaced the icons in the Projec32.skl file but they don't work as well. It seams that the icons are grabed from somewhere else...

I'm running out of ideas on how to sort this problem out.

:(
                                • 13. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                                  Level 7
                                  > For a workaround, don't use Director's broken icon-adding method.

It seems that for D11, there *isn't* one that isn't broken. Even if you
                                  build a projector using the existing unmodified skeleton, you can't add
                                  your own icon without corrupting its appearance. And modifying the
                                  skeleton prior to injection doesn't work either.

> On PC, use a resource editor like resHacker or the easier to use Versiown.

Yep, tried both of those, and Microangelo, IconForge and IconWorkshop
                                  besides. Any others anyone can suggest?
                                  • 14. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                                    Level 7
                                    > I'm running out of ideas on how to sort this problem out.

I'm thinking there /isn't/ a way of sorting it out.
                                    • 15. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                                      kindaian Level 1
                                      Microangelo is great but breaks the projector. Here is the bug report i did with them (mayhappen we get luckier then with Adobe):

quote:

I've a Director 11 Projector and open it within the toolset explorer.

After i change the icons with the brand i need for the product i'm making with director, the projector no longer works and posts the message:

Unable to load movie playlist. Does the .INI file exist? It must contain a section '[Movies]' with an entry 'Movie01=Pathname.dir'. Followed by 2 error messages.

Adding a ini doesn't solve, because it isn't read.

Will be posting also on Adobe forums, mayhappen someone enlights me on a solution.

BTW this is what i could call, a no-go for a buy order (because it will be my main use of it... change icons on director projectors).

We will see...
                                      • 16. icons look fuzzy in D11
                                        Chunick Level 3
                                        after doing a few tests it looks like the 256x256 icon saved in the D11 Projec32.skl file is not a correct Vista version as it's not compressed using PNG. There's no reason for saving the 256x256 icon as a regular image in the resource as the current .ico format with the Vista PNG image is completely backward compatible with XP.
                                        • 17. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                                          kindaian Level 1
                                          Some light?

I got an answer from Microangelo support:

http://www.microangelo.us/faq.asp

quote:

Solution B:
                                          This example is for programs created with Macromedia Director. The program icon is contained in the projec32.skl component. This example should work for authors using other development tools after determining which pre-build component contains the program icon.
                                          1) Make a copy of projec32.skl from the director program folder. (Make sure you always keep an unaltered copy of projec32.skl to serve as a backup at any time - i.e., "projec32.bak").
                                          2) Rename the copy to projec32.exe.
                                          3) Drag projec32.exe into Librarian.
                                          4) Select "EXE Update Method..." from Librarian's Edit menu and choose the Re-build application resources option.
                                          5) Right click on the icon you wish to change and (a) choose "Replace Icon..." if you already have a replacement ICO, or (b) choose "Edit Icon..." if you'd like to make the changes using Microangelo Studio.
                                          6) Save your changes in Librarian.
                                          7) Rename projec32.exe to projec32.skl.
                                          8) Replace the director program folders projec32.skl with the one that was just altered. (Be certain you have made a backup copy of the unaltered projec32.skl.)
                                          9) Create the projector program file. It should now have the custom icon.

This was what i had with Director MX 2004 and it worked well.

Seams that i will need to make some more testings...
                                          • 18. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                                            Chunick Level 3
                                            To anyone experiencing this issue,
                                            I have created a small utility that will properly add an icon file to a projector. I tested it on the Projec32.skl file (converting it to .exe) with an icon containing a proper 256x256 PNG compressed icon and it worked. One thing to note when I was testing in Vista it looked like it was working inconsistently until I read somewhere online that Vista caches icons so, as the readme states, you may need to either log off Vista or reboot to properly see the changes.

the utility can be downloaded here:
                                            http://www.chunick.com/director/IconResource.zip
                                            • 19. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                                              Level 7
                                              > the utility can be downloaded here:
                                              > http://www.chunick.com/director/IconResource.zip

Excellent - very useful tool! Thanks Josh. See my comments and tweaks on
                                              Direct-L
                                              • 20. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                                                kindaian Level 1
                                                It works like a charm!

Many... many thanx...

;)
                                                • 21. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                                                  Chunick Level 3
                                                  I am now working on an authoring utility that should provide a full feature set of resource tools for developers and be easily integrated into their workflow... the utilities will comprise of three separate, but connected components:

1) The ability to import an external 32-bit image or internal image member and create an icon in the format needed by Director in just a click or two, including Vista's 256x256 icon.
                                                  2) The ability to directly save that icon to the resource using the utility I've already posted here, just modified to work while authoring.
                                                  3) The ability to modify the Version Information of the file:

VS_FIXEDFILEINFO
                                                  - File Version: <Major>.<Minor>.<Build>.<Revision>
                                                  - Product Version: <Major>.<Minor>.<Build>.<Revision>

StringFileInfo
                                                  - CompanyName:
                                                  - FileDescription:
                                                  - FileVersion:
                                                  - InternalName:
                                                  - LegalCopyright:
                                                  - LegalTrademarks:
                                                  - OriginalFilename:
                                                  - ProductName:
                                                  - ProductVersion:
                                                  • 22. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                                                    kindaian Level 1
                                                    What i have in my wish list is:

a) The ability to update a cast element with the content of a file indicated to do that (internal link, but updatable - more on this - command line action also);
                                                    b) The ability to make a projector without entering in GUI mode (make it just by using a command line action);
                                                    c) The ability to compile a dir/cast file with command line.

Then i would be able to make a ant script to make the whole solution with one click.

;)
                                                    • 23. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                                                      kindaian Level 1
                                                      If you add subversion to the package... that would be the day naturally ;)
                                                      • 24. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                                                        Chunick Level 3
                                                        funny you should mention that... ;-) Actually, I have been investigating versioning and how it could work in Director seeing as it works a wee bit differently than other environments like VC++
                                                        • 25. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                                                          kindaian Level 1
                                                          My idea is very simple (looks like an huge over-statement)... subversion because it's very simple to set-up and very flexible.

imagemagick to provide image resource comparison (have to find out how to use it to provide the subversion the way to compare images).

image injection into the casts on the "compile" fase...

The only missing spot is... the "compile" itself and the projector making... All the rest i can "automate" somewhat...

What i intend is very simple: have a way to make the cd's of the products i manage, automaticly, thru the use of something like hudson or cruise control, and have all the "content" outside of the applications and imbued at compile time.

Simple no? hehehehe

Basicly, geting out of the dark ages of multimedia programming and adopting for it the proven standard practices of software development.

;)
                                                          • 26. Re: icons look fuzzy in D11
                                                            stevenLandau Level 1
                                                            Hi, thanks very much for the little iconResource utility. That has fixed (for now) my problem with icons looking fuzzy on the desktop. I'm assuming that Adobe is reading this, because this is a bug that should be fixed right away, as it seriously detracts from developers' ability to use the the new version, and reverting to D10 appears to be not possible.