7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2018 5:21 AM by juanmario

30.25 FPS

Alberto15Romero Level 1

I just got a new phone and strangly enough it records video at 1080p @ 30.25 fps, when I import this to Premiere @ 30fps, every second, 0.25 frames are lost, thus every 4 seconds I loose a frame which leads to audio and video sychcronization. Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: 30.25 FPS
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A frame-rate like that actually most likely indicates that it is using VFR (variable frame-rate) recording, as do most phones. So the frame-rate varies per second throughout clips. The 'average' rate will be reported as the clip's frame-rate by PrPro.

And ... you can't lose a quarter of a frame. It will either re-rate the speed slightly or occasionally dump a frame.

Neil

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 30.25 FPS
            Alberto15Romero Level 1

Oh, I see, it is quite complicated but how can I avoid the non sychronization then?

• 3. Re: 30.25 FPS
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You cannot.

That is how your phone operates.

Or get a regular videocamera.

Run the file through Handbrake and set it to constant framerate if you have audio issues on the timeline.

• 4. Re: 30.25 FPS
                Alberto15Romero Level 1

Managed to fix it, thanks!!

• 5. Re: 30.25 FPS
                  Alberto15Romero Level 1

Thanks, it is a bit of a pain in the back to have to put the video through that everytime, especially if it is a long video, but at least it works

Thanks again!!

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: 30.25 FPS
                    R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The latest 2018 PrPro can work fairly well with most VFR media, but not perfectly with all phones/devices that produce it. So, when that strikes, it's still best to do as Ann suggests and use Handbrake to convert. You can batch-convert in Handbrake and say do it over-night so you don't waste time sitting there while it's converting.

I'll include my personal settings for Handbrake such that you both get it converted and keep the best file-integrity at the other end.

Note that I've red-ticks by both the radio-box Constant Framerate button and a specific number in the FPS box ... you have to have both a number and the box. The box checked and 'auto' or anything other than a number, you'll still get the original VFR out.

Also, I go with at least the 4.2 on Encoder Level, though I've played with going to 5 on occasion. But this will result in files with nearly the same or slightly higher bit-rates than the original, avoiding re-compressing at a higher rate.

Neil

Handbrake Settings.PNG

• 7. Re: 30.25 FPS
                      juanmario Level 4

With version 12.1.1 you should not have problems with those files.