4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2018 5:54 PM by Jim_Simon

Screen Resolution

danielhunt.er_

I am looking at buying an HP laptop with a 1366 x 768 pixel resolution screen, and will be running Premiere Pro on it.  I have read on the system requirements that Pr requires a 1280 x 900 screen, but I am wondering if this is a necessity.  Could I still run Premiere Pro on this computer?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Screen Resolution
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should not try and use something that is below the minimum requirement, or you run the risk of wasting your money

• 2. Re: Screen Resolution
            R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

John is right, don't even try to run PrPro on that. And for general purposes, you NEED a dedicated GPU card. More cores are better, as close to 3.8Ghz CPU speed as possible, and at the very least 16Gb of RAM.

Neil

• 3. Re: Screen Resolution
              RjL190365 Level 5

I agree with both John and Neil. The vertical screen resolution of only 768 pixels will render Premiere Pro virtually unusable because critical portions of the interface will then become permanently hidden and completely unrecoverable by any method short of connecting an external higher-resolution monitor that would have completely defeated the primary purpose of any laptop (for instance, you cannot export anything at all whatsoever in Premiere Pro if your display has fewer than 800 pixels in the vertical direction).

Worse, the interface window dialogs in Premiere Pro cannot be reduced in size below the Adobe default size even if you wanted to; if they were, then working in 4k would them have become an exercise in frustration because the window would then have become too small to view.

And to top (or bottom) those off, that HP laptop is more likely these days to have only a dual-core Intel CPU that's based on the crummy Atom architecture, such as a Celeron N or a Pentium N series CPU – far below the practical minimum CPU requirement to run Premiere Pro anywhere close to comfortably smooth.

And Premiere Pro CC requires a 1280x800 display to run. In this case, both the "1280" AND the "800" MUST be met. A 1366x768 display does NOT meet the 800-pixel minimum vertical resolution requirement.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Screen Resolution
                Jim_Simon Level 9

I recommend a 24" monitor with 1920 x 1080 resolution as a minimum.

I also recommend five internal hard drives as a starting point.

Building your own desktop is the best solution.  Buying an editing desktop from a specialty retailer is second best.  There is no good third option.

1 person found this helpful