• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Who owns intellectual property rights for websites I create?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just now starting to think through the implications of Adobe abandoning Muse. 

This will be the second time I have had the horse shot out from under me and I really don't want to do this again.

I am trying to figure out now if there are viable alternatives to Muse or whether I need to embrace something like Dreamweaver.

My very first website was created with Apple iWeb.  It was a wonderful piece of software and got the job done for me.

When my OSX would no longer talk to iWeb I paid to join every no-code program I could find.  I could never find a template that exactly served my needs so was very excited when I came across Muse.   I would like to find something like this again.

In doing more research I came across a site called XYZ Website Builder.

I like a lot of things about it and was just about to join until I came across a page that described intellectual property rights.

It said things like

" ...........you hereby grant to XYZ Website Builder , a worldwide, non-exclusive license to...........reproduce, distribute,..........or sell to third parties Your content from time to time, now or anytime in the future, for any purpose................ You agree and understand that You automatically forfeit Your right to any intellectual property rights in this Content"

Does this mean that if I were to create a website for my own company, or had a business that created websites for other companies, XYZ Website Builder would own all of the content?   Does this mean they could take any section of my website an sell it to anybody who wanted to buy it?

If I were to create a compelling website that resonated with my customers, could somebody else just buy a copy of the is website from XYZ Website Builder?

Are there any caveats like this deep within the Muse User Agreement?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Short answer: If you build a website with Muse, the site and its content is yours – what means the other way round: You are responsible for the site and its content.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Short answer: If you build a website with Muse, the site and its content is yours – what means the other way round: You are responsible for the site and its content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines