• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I change my computer so the program runs properly?

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

About six months ago I asked a question on these forums about Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018 not importing video correctly, but the audio from the file worked fine. I was told by multiple people that not only does my computer not have enough RAM, but my processor is inadequate for the requirements to run the program. I've tried doing research on this and I do think that with an investment, it might be possible to change my processor and buy RAM so that I will be able to use the software. However, I wanted to double check here and make it super clear exactly what I'm looking to do. Is it worth going through the process of changing these specs or should I just look into buying a completely new computer?

Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200 CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.30 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (5.78 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System, x-64-based processor

From what I gathered, I need to go from an i5-4200 CPU to an i5-4950 CPU. I also need to add about 16GB of DDR3 RAM. I can do other simple things like updating the version of Windows I am running currently (8.1) but that obviously wouldn't change all my problems.

Another thing that I was recommended to do is just use proxies, but I've tried following multiple tutorials and even with the help of some friends and family, I haven't been able to figure that out and would much rather just have a working machine in the first place.

Thanks so much, any input is appreciated.

[Moderator note: moved to best forum.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boy, that's a really tough question to answer cause everyone does different stuff ( different source file types and different lengths of clips). If you want to use the computer for 10 minutes of full HD pro res simple editing, it will be less demanding on your computer hardware than 2 hours of 4k raw.

There's a hardware SUBSPACE that you can get to by the top menu … and that's the best place to get info I think.

Good luck !

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that PC is a laptop with a mobile CPU, you cannot upgrade the CPU at all. The only things that you can upgrade are the RAM and the storage drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh okay, thanks for letting me know that. I thought it would be an option to upgrade that but clearly I was misinformed. I guess my only option then is to find a computer that is compatible with the software/has the right CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Remember, the advice about upgrading the CPU applies only if you have a big tower desktop. Most laptops have their CPU permanently soldered onto the system board (motherboard). That means that the only way to "upgrade" the CPU would have been to replace the ENTIRE motherboard - and then, there are a gazillion different proprietary form factors for laptop motherboards. And a given laptop chassis can only accept the same type of motherboard as the original - and then, such boards offer only a very limited choice of CPUs that are soldered onto them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines