Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Lumetri now have to render?

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have a question that is hopefully an easy fix.

I have been using PrPro for a few months and I am ok with it. Love/Hate kinda thing. I was using an A7II for a while and got some pretty ok 1080/24 shots and would film local music scenes and whatnot. I upgraded to the a6500 for the incredilbe video quality, and I tell you.. its incredible. Blew me away and still does every time I use it.

However recently I have run into an issue. When I am running a 1080 sequence. Lumetri stays yellow bar and runs smooth. Now that I am using 4K/30, Lumetri goes red and takes forever to render. Why the change when I change resolutions?

I edit in small low-res proxies and try to keep my workload to just color and editing but this extra render step has really killed my efficiency.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are let's see ... how many times the pixels to compute in 4k versus 1080? About 2 million versus 8.25 million?

I am assuming you're using some long-GOP format out of that camera ... and you're now requiring more than four times the work every frame for the CPU to do the required dance number: decompress one or more i-frames, store them to RAM; recall the data-set of changed pixels for the next frame, recall the appropriate one or two i-frames, compute the changed pixels, create that next frame of video, store images to RAM; recall next frame's dataset, rinse & repeat.

I do hope your proxies are "small" by pixel dimensions and not by file size alone ... as you really want to use the included Cineform presets for best playback, rather than any H.264 codec/format choice. The files sizes are bigger BUT that is why the playback is so much improved: every frame is a complete frame just lightly compressed. Which is a ton easier on your computer to work with.

Using a smaller frame-size than the original media is fine with proxies. And to be sure, you are toggling proxies on/off with the Toggle Proxies icon in the Program Monitor's control block, right?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The a6500 uses h.264 which I am not a fan of.

I use the ProRes Proxy 1024x540 and i can edit like a breeze with this. I have edited 4k in PrPro in the past and very recently. Im not stranger to this, but only within the last two weeks did Lumetri start giving me the red bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird, right? Huh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which really sucks. Because I went from taking 25-30 mins to export my clip to 4 hours now... which is not good for business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yowza.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen if you add Lumetri to a 4k Prores, DNxHR or Cineform? What do you have your render engine set for CUDA, OpenCL, Metal?

Juan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not. I took a clip from my last shoot and it is in AME right now transcoding to DNxHR.

I only have the options for OpenCL or Metal and when this is set to Metal my system completely comes to a halt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE**

that did not work. Transcoded over to DNXHR and re applied the same Lumetri Effect and the render time doubled....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DanielV,

What did you end up doing? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been having the same problem, lumetri used to work great but now after one of the updates this year whatever footage I put on my timeline when I go to the color panel the playback doesn't work, sometimes I can see the changes I make (rarely) but I have absolutely no playback and a red render bar on timeline! What can I do?! I dind't change antyhing on the hardware! Forcing me to go to Davinci for little videos that don't need is making me loose so much time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines