2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2018 2:04 AM by BottledLightsPhotography

Lightroom performance decreases with every update

BottledLightsPhotography Level 1

Dear folks @ Adobe,

I've been using Lightroom for years now but instead of getting faster and more streamlined the whole thing becomes slower and slower with every update. I am running an 4.4GHz i7 with 16GB of RAM, 3 fast SSD drives and a GTX 1050 Ti GPU. I am currently working  on a very small catalog file with only 300-400 images. However, I use a 4K display for image editing. Hardware (GPU) acceleration is enabled in LR.

- It takes ages to load photos when I click them
      - The spot removal tool takes incredibly long to finally mark a spot after I've clicked, and even longer to find a sample to substitute the marked area with.
      - Sometimes when the Lightroom window is open and active, CPU load on all cores is between 40% and 60%, even when I don't do anything. CPU load immediately drops below 10% when I switch to another program and stays low until I perform any action in Lightroom

- Again, the spot removal tool sometimes marks areas that I have never clicked on, usually long lines across a major part of the screen.

- Whenever I press the R key in development mode to crop an image, the image I used the crop tool on before appears for the fraction of a second. Why is that, it is just distracting.

Over the last 12 to 18 months my workflow in Lightroom (which hasn't changed) takes at least 50% longer than it used to. That's just not acceptable in a professional environment. Of course I tried re-installing everything, that, however, did not really solve the issue. I have the impression that whenever I install an update, Lightroom becomes slower. I'm still using my 5D mk III cameras, so my RAW file size has not increased over the last 4 years.

- And yes, I have read your article about improving performance but I did not find any solution. In fact, one line really impressed me:

"To increase performance on such displays, reduce the size of the Lightroom window, or use the 1:2 or 1:3 views in the Navigator panel."

Honestly, you want me to use a smaller area of my monitor for image editing? Are you making fun of me and all the other professional photographers out there spending thousands of $ or € on large high resolution screens?

I know at least two colleagues in person facing and complaining about similar issues with Lightroom. Please do something about that really poor performance - and please do it fast.

Here's an extract of Lightroom's system information:

Lightroom Classic version: 7.4 [ 1176617 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en

Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition

Version: 10.0.17134

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 4,0 GHz

Built-in memory: 16335,0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16335,0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 4886,1 MB (29,9%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 5483,1 MB

GDI objects count: 681

USER objects count: 2265

Process handles count: 1900

Memory cache size: 1134,8MB

Internal Camera Raw revision: 976

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 3519MB / 8167MB (43%)

Camera Raw real memory: 3532MB / 16335MB (21%)

System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 3840x2160, 3) 1920x1080

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (23.21.13.8813)

Installed Plugins:

1) AdobeStock

2) Canon Tether Plugin

3) ColorChecker Passport

4) Export to Photomatix Pro

5) Facebook

6) Flickr

7) HDR Efex Pro 2

8) LR/Mogrify 2

9) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de