• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

epub validation error

Participant ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just exported this EPUB, and then did the "validation" process on it in Sigil, and got this error message:

Error OPF bad item media type value : The <item> element's "media-type" attribute has value "application/vnd.ms-opentype", but the file's media type is "application/x-font-ttf". near column 105

How would I fix this?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Reflowable text ePub or FXL ePub?

Crack open the ePub and have a look at the OPF – What’s in an ePUB?: The OPF File – eBOUND Canada

IMO Flightdeck is easily the best validator worth $15 for a month's worth. https://www.ebookflightdeck.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3

InDesign CC 2017.1

Reflowable

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that information help with what to do about this at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible this is an embedded font issue? I never embed fonts, I don't even know how, but maybe it happened on accident?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s generally thought best to use OTF fonts - also all Typekit fonts are licensed. for ePub

Did you use the Flightdeck validator, if you don’t want to spend the money there’s a free one but it doesn‘t give as much information: EPUB Validator (beta)

By the way have you viewed the ePub on any ePub reading software or devices to see if it works or there's any issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I never heard the thing about .otf for epub. Why is that?

I used the validator in Sigil called FlightCrew.

I didn't see any issues in iBook, but haven't tried it in Calibre yet. I generally go iBook > Sigil > Calibre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OTF = OpenType Font

How does your ePub look in Adobe Digital Editions Adobe Digital Editions | Download

Ensure you've exported it from InDesign as ePub version 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what OTF stands for, I just don't know why it would be preferred for epub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use TrueType and OTF, fonts but Postscript Type 1 cannot be embedded in an ePub.

Try exporting your ePub without embedding the fonts and see if the validator throws up any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually couldn't find the part in the dialog about embedding fonts. But, I did set it to epub 3 (it was set at 2.0.1 or whatever) and then Sigil failed to validate, but the online validator you posted gave it back with no errors so I guess it's good now. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear.

I inadvertently seem to have added a link to system requirements to my reply – sorry about that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ha, I was a little confused about that link!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines