Hi, I am a PC users but will be helping someone migrate from iPhoto on their Mac to LR Classic CC. I have read many blogs and articles and understand that you can use a Plug-in that ships with LR, you can make a real folder from the iPhoto "package" and import into LR or you can export from iPhoto and import into LR. It seems each of these has pros and cons which I'm trying to understand.
If I had my own MAC I'd just experiment to figure this out, but I don't so must ask others
Manually import the "Masters" folder from the iPhoto Package
Export from Iphoto then import into LR
thanks for your help
I can't answer every single question, but here are a few answers:
- An original is an original. That means it's the original file type and you don't get a choice of file types.
- The plugin creates a dated folder structure. You don't get a chance to change that.
- The plugin brings over the unedited originals and their metadata (keywords, ratings), including metadata added in iPhoto. I believe you get a choice to bring over a copy of the edited version as well as a JPEG if you want to.
- If you export a photo from iPhone, the metadata will contain keywords, but not album names.
- If you import the Masters folder of the iPhoto package you will import 'virgin' images. Nothing that was done in iPhoto will come over in that case.