3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2008 5:54 AM by Linux Rules

Problem with CPD File in RH7

jaguarxox
      Background: I had an X5 project that I converted to RH7. A couple of weeks ago a got a message that my CPD file was corrupted. It said to delete it and a new one would be built. This didn't work- I can't remember why. So I
      followed instructions to compress and repair the CPD file using Access (I had a back up copy of my project before the CPD corrupted). This seemed to work fine for a couple of weeks. Today I got another error message when I was closing the project- nothing specific- just if I wanted to report it to Microsoft. When I reopened the project most of
      the links were broken. This time I deleted the CPD file and another one was created when I reopened the project-and the broken links were repaired. Does this have something to do with the upgrade to RH7? I'm worried that I will continue to have problems with the CPD file in the future.
        • 1. Re: Problem with CPD File in RH7
          Linux Rules Level 2
          Hello jaguarxox -

In case you aren't aware, MS Access db files are not the most stable files in the tool box (but better than .doc files). That being said, I rarely have had a db problem with RoboHelp - perhaps three times in many years.

I have found two "typical" causes for corruption:
          1) a character doesn't get written , an "invalid" character gets written or a character is left out of the db file which causes the app to wig out;
          2) a bad spot on the hard drive (it may only be a couple bytes in size).

Can't do much about #1 except poke into the file with Access and see if you can identify the culpret (could be one of your project files with an "invalid" character). I ended up deleting the file and had RH rebuild it.

#2 requires you to scan/test your hard drive with a utility, something you should do every couple months anyway.

(Note that other things can cause your problem.)

I doubt you will have this problem very often - if you do, and you have tested your drive, then there is likely a "problem" with one file in your project.

Regards,
          GEWB
          • 2. Re: Problem with CPD File in RH7
            HKabaker Level 2
            Hi, jaguarxox, and
            Welcome to the forum!.

A basic point -- I always ask if I don't see it in a post -- by any chance is your project directory on a network drive? If so, you should move it to your local hard drive.

Harvey
            • 3. Re: Problem with CPD File in RH7
              Linux Rules Level 2
              quote:

Originally posted by: HKabaker
              A basic point -- I always ask if I don't see it in a post -- by any chance is your project directory on a network drive? If so, you should move it to your local hard drive.

Harvey

Hello Harvey -

Good point!

I keep forgetting about that as I learned years ago not to work projects over the network.

Regards,
              GEWB