Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Modify Debayer settings for all RED media in project

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there anyway to change the debayer settings for all RED media in a project? All the clips default to high quality debayer, and I'd like to set them all to low for better performance.

I've tried copying and pasting the master clip properties to all the RED clips, but this also pastes other RED settings such as colour temperature etc.

Or is this something I should do in REDCINE-X to modify the RMD? Which Premiere will then read?

Thanks!

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Please file that request!

You're right, PrPro really needs that camera level support for many cameras and especially needs a VASTLY improved DNG and RAW process.

Hope the preset idea is helpful.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally would use redcine X first... but I only did a test with red camera years ago ( the first red that came out ). So I have no clue from recent experience.

good luck !

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, when I tested red the milk girl thing was circulating among commercial camera departments ( sets, etc. ) so people could see the potential of digital.  The milk girls are used in THIS link, to demonstrate some gamma stuff which is kinda fun to look at.

Color Management with Cinema

they sure got their money worth out of those milk girls !

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rodney,

I'll check the vid later as I'm a bit slammed. We since gone through and set all the clips one by one in premiere to low debayer. It's more of just figuring out the best workflow for future projects. I'll check Redcine-x and see if there's an easy way to set the debayer settings for all clips as a batch.

Otherwise I think this would be a useful feature in Premiere! Even a general preference that automatically set all R3Ds to the debayer of preference when they're imported.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last I heard Adobe doesn't work for Red, or Arri, etc. Good luck with THAT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2018 seems to work fine for RED, the work I've done with it. Can't say anything about Arri or the upper Sony's from personal use though.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

==== Is there anyway to change the debayer settings for all RED media in a project? All the clips default to high quality debayer, and I'd like to set them all to low for better performance.===

R Neil Haugen, this is the question asked. Have you been able to do that natively in PPro ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R Neil H,

It becomes fairly obvious that two questions arise:

1) are there settings on the red camera to determine the bayering of images captured ?

2) Is there software that can change the quality of that bayering ( hopefully as a 'batch file type process ) ?

I seem to recall that the red does have settings to determine the bayering quality.

I also vaguely remember that that can be changed in Redcine X

But I'm not sure.

I sincerely doubt it can be done in PPro but maybe you've done it ??  I only have cs6

Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can't change the individual defaults for the Red master file settings, and well ... there's a lot of things that it would be better if we users could change the defaults. What works well for one type of work may be a dud for another. This is one where being able to set the default behavior for each item would be slick for many users.

As is, he could create a preset for that ... just change that one thing, the debayer level, save that as a preset, and drag/drop that onto clips. To do multiple clips in a timeline, select the clips, then drag/drop the preset onto them. However, all the other things of that preset would get applied also. Though if 'as shot' is set at the top, at least, you'd get that which might make the debayer preset useful for at least some jobs.

It doesn't have all the ability to do every thing of Redcine ... most assuredly. But then we don't have all the controls of most of the major camera manufacturer's internal software for other cameras either. So ... some things have far more options elsewhere for say in this example, RED media within PrPro versus their own app. But there's a lot of things you can do in PrPro you can't in Redcine.

Tradeoffs ... which sometimes I'm ok with, and sometimes, they tick me off.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you guys are light years ahead of me.

I just spent more than 40 min. trying to find the original camera menu for Red One, or whatever it was called. The first red. Couldn't find it. Plus, the menus I saw of recent cameras and upgrades to older ones, they are like TOTALLY different !  Not only THAT, but my memory from that test stuff is like really hazy.  There were some things I couldn't even shoot because I was using a card instead of the hard drive.

I'm a dinosaur !

: (

Anyway, I'll leave it up to you to do this stuff, it's way over my head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So much of the gear these days is way outta my ken also. You won't see me helping with 360 stuff, I've no experience and it boggles my mind.

Others at NAB or MAX whip out their devices to show me what they've done. Mind-boggling to me, normal stuff for them.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best of luck with the RED ONE Rodney!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil

I'll give that a preset idea a try.

I'm kind of surprised Premiere doesn't have project wide camera RAW settings, especially when Adobe was trumpeting it's RED compatibility years ago. Resolve has had project wide Camera RAW settings for multiple camera formats (RED, ARRI, Sony etc) for some time now.

I think I'll submit a feature request. Seems like it would be easy for them to implement.

Thanks for your help

Chris

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please file that request!

You're right, PrPro really needs that camera level support for many cameras and especially needs a VASTLY improved DNG and RAW process.

Hope the preset idea is helpful.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is that menu with the debayer settings in the 2019 version? I can't find it anywhere... was it taken away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the RED media settings are available in the Master Clip controls in the Effects Control Panel (ECP).

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2019 May 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that "Debayer Detail" does nothing in this menu... it's very odd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2019 May 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Huh. Can't replicate that.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines