• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Add Additional Contacts Fields When Using Adobe Scan IOS with Business Cards?

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded Abobe Scan IOS. Already have Adobe Pro DC so I have rights to upload to Adobe Cloud.  You just do the scan photo, save as a PDF (takes a while), and then click on Contact.  It does a great job adding and letting you edit name, organization, phone # and email. But how can you add additional Contacts fields to the initial upload to Contacts? There must be a way to add an address, title, URL, twitter, Facebook, etc. fields that are already in Contacts.  Now you have to add all that separately. By the way, the machine assist to get the fields right is brilliant. I just want to be able to do all the data entry at the same time, not have to switch to Contacts and enter additional (important!) fields by hand.

TOPICS
iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Hi Lauren,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Currently, you can only add the name, number and email address from the scan to the address book on your device.

The other details you may need to add manually.

You may share your suggestion/feedback on this over here Scan iOS Feature Request and Bug Report Form

Hope that answers your query.

Let us know if you need any help.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lauren,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Currently, you can only add the name, number and email address from the scan to the address book on your device.

The other details you may need to add manually.

You may share your suggestion/feedback on this over here Scan iOS Feature Request and Bug Report Form

Hope that answers your query.

Let us know if you need any help.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Hope they figure it out.  I'm sure lots of your customers would appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just used the free Adobe Scan on iOS to add a couple hundred business cards to my contacts, and it worked pretty well. I also figured out the (undocumented?) feature where you can select the Company field and use it for all the other information from the card.

The process that I use:

1. Start the app. It defaults to "Auto-Capture On" mode, which is very nice when you want to scan in a number of cards. Note that you can only process a maximum of 25 cards at a time with OCR, however, so you probably want to do them in batches.
  2. Hold the camera over the card and the app will automatically lock on to the card and capture a picture. Repeat this for the other cards in your batch.
  3. Press the mini-card-stack at the bottom right corner when you are done capturing the card images. This shows you the first scanned card, and you can swipe to see the other cards and individually delete any bad photos. But they probably are OK, so just press "Save PDF" at the top right corner.
  4. This saves all the cards as PDFs and uploads them to the Adobe server for OCR processing. It may take a minute if you have multiple cards, but when OCR is completed it will add a "Save Contact" choice below the first card image (to the right of the Share Scan and Open In Acrobat choices). You may need to scroll the card image up a bit to see this choice, but do this and select the Save Contact choice.
  5. If you scanned multiple cards, you will now see a list of them all (already pre-selected), so just press continue to start the process of saving them one-by-one to Contacts. (If you only scanned one card, the app will automatically take you to the next step.)
  6. You will see the first card with First Name, Last Name, phone numbers and email address filled in. It does a good job of this for almost all cards, although it tends to get confused if there is a fax number in addition to phone and cell numbers on the card (and tends to switch the cell and fax numbers, but you can easily correct that by just selecting the blue "work fax" or "cell" selection and changing them from the list). You can also type into these fields or into the Notes field, or press the '+' button to manually add additional phone numbers or email addresses.
  7. What's cool, however, is that you can select the Company field. When you do this, it shows a list of all the other words that Adobe managed to OCR from the card, including not just the company name but many other items. Just press on the words and they are inserted into the field in the order that you select them, allowing you to quickly add the company name and other information from the other words on the card. I used this to quickly insert the company name, title and other words that I might want to search on to find this person, and you can also manually type in the field.
  8. When you are satisfied with the content, press Save at the top right and it is saved to your Contacts and the next card appears. When done with all the cards, you can delete the scanned cards by selecting "All Scans", selecting the set of scanned cards, and pressing the trash can icon.

Now you are probably thinking "why would I want to dump other information, like the person's title and city, into the Company field?" Perhaps it's not ideal, but at least on the Apple platforms it works just fine. When you search contacts, it searches all the fields for matching text, so it really doesn't matter much if a title is in a Company field. And of course, you can always change it later in your Contacts app on the iPhone, iPad or MacBook.

I've tried other ways to scan in business card, including expensive scanners and software. But in terms of ease of use, simplicity and cost (free), I am pretty impressed with using Adobe Scan for adding business cards to Contacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines