4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2008 9:21 PM by pixlor

forms

jhawtin13
      I saw on the video advertisement for flash that you can add objects, things like text boxes ect. from the common library. But I asked a while ago how to do a contact page in fireworks and everyone told me to do it dreamweaver.
      Isn't there a way that I can create these objects in the common library so that when I export into dreamweaver it can function. I just don't see why adobe would advertise this if is wasn't possible.
      Thanks,
      Jaclyn
        • 1. Re: forms
          pixlor Level 4
          Flash and Fireworks are not the same.

Flash is interactive. It was designed to be and supports internal coding.

Fireworks creates graphics and will create and export some HTML code, although that code is not robust and is generally considered only good enough for prototype sites, not production sites. Fireworks is not a complete site-building application, nor is it advertised as such. It's for graphics, mockups, and prototypes. Fireworks is great for these three tasks.

Dreamweaver is designed to produce production HTML code. It's built to do that, it's good at it. It's better to use Dreamweaver to build your pages, rather than to cobble together some less reliable code out of a graphics application (and then possibly spend hours trying to figure out why it doesn't work quite right).

• 2. Re: forms
            jhawtin13 Level 1
            OK,
            sorry I was tired when I sent that message. I meant fireworks.
            I understand that dreamweaver is better to do most of the work in.
            But I am still confused about that video. They were making a contact type page in
            fireworks. ?? I don't know I guess I'll just do it in dreamweaver, I just have
            a hard time making things look as pretty in dreamweaver!
            Any suggestions?
            I don't have as much experience with dreamweaver.
            Thanks,
            Jaclyn
            • 3. Re: forms
              Level 7
              jhawtin13 wrote:
              > OK,
              > sorry I was tired when I sent that message. I meant fireworks.
              > I understand that dreamweaver is better to do most of the work in.
              > But I am still confused about that video. They were making a contact type
              > page in
              > fireworks. ?? I don't know I guess I'll just do it in dreamweaver, I just
              > have
              > a hard time making things look as pretty in dreamweaver!
              > Any suggestions?
              > I don't have as much experience with dreamweaver.
              > Thanks,
              > Jaclyn
              >

A link to the video may help us all, but chances are, they were
              demonstrating how to "mock up" a form in Fireworks. Not build a
              functional one

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              Adobe Community Expert
              http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
              ---
              See my work on Flickr
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
              • 4. Re: forms
                pixlor Level 4
                quote:

Originally posted by: jhawtin13
                I just have a hard time making things look as pretty in dreamweaver!

But...you can do things in graphics that you can't do with a Web form. Yes, you can use CSS on form elements to make them look better, but there are still limitations to HTML/CSS that you just won't have in Fireworks. Even if you can make the Web form in Fireworks look exactly the way you wanted, there's no guarantee that it would be possible to reproduce, and then you'd have to wonder if the exporting feature had all the complex possibilities coded in (probably not, that would be very difficult to do). It's much better to learn what you can (and cannot) do with HTML and CSS and do it yourself.