4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2008 5:52 AM by TWSisters

Importing Word docs from a RH for Word project

maniac9999
      I have a HUGE RH for Word project that I'm trying to convert to RHTML (RH Office X5). We generate CHM with this project, and we've got map ids for all topics. I've been to Peter Grainge's site to get some ideas, but I don't think they're going to work. There are so many Word files and topics (537 and 2,974, respectively) that the more I think about it, the more I think that a conversion to RH HTML might not be worth it.

When I tried to import all of the Word documents and also convert the TOC (converting the Index isn't an option since it never worked with our large number of Word docs) and use the HTMLHelp.css (using the Import wizard), RH HTML crashed twice after 40 minutes.

So, I created a new RH HTML project and tried to import just one Word doc from the RH for Word project, and selected the same wizard options. As I expected, the Word doc imported, but even though I told RH to split the topics on Heading 2, it also copied in the characters (#S+@) that preceded every topic heading and incorporated them into the Topic Title. AND, RH HTML did not "convert" the TOC - it was blank.

In another post I saw a reference to this patch - http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb07-10.html. I'm not sure it's related, although when I examined my second failed import attempt, the imported topics were visible in the project folder only by using Windows Explorer - RoboHelp HTML did not display them from within RoboHelp.

Does anyone know if this is the patch that will fix this issue as well?

By the way, based on the number of questions I've seen posted about RH for Word 7 with zero replies, I'm thinking I'm going to run into issues as well, even if we leave it in RH for Word when we upgrade to version 7. It seems that its size is an issue for RH HTML.

Thanks,
      Jim
      Thanks,
      Jim
        • 1. Re: Importing Word docs from a RH for Word project
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Hi Jim.

Have you considered splitting things down into separate CHMs that you can merge? I'm sure this could handle what you have got. It does depend what is in each word file but maybe 500 topics per CHM.

As far as the titles are concerned you could easily remove these formatting marks using a find and replace tool. Either that or try crreating a PDF from the word file and importing that.

Just a couple of thoughts.
          • 2. Re: Importing Word docs from a RH for Word project
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
            Rather you than me Jim!

I don't think the bulletin is relevant.

How about generating a CHM from your existing project and then Reverse Engineering that as per the article on my site. No guarantees but worth a try. Use the KeyTools method for speed.

• 3. Re: Importing Word docs from a RH for Word project
              TWSisters
              Hi Jim,
              just as an encouragement: we sucessfully converted a HUGE RH for Word project (4,300 topics) to RH HTML a while ago, including TOC, index and everything. I must admit though that we had all those topics in only 25 word documents. Maybe you can reduce the number of documents by moving the topics? There will always be problems you run into and afterward, we had to go through every single topic and check the formatting, but I guess you'd always have to do this. But I think it's worth it, working in HTML is so much more convenient.

Good luck!
              Kathrin
              • 4. Re: Importing Word docs from a RH for Word project
                TWSisters Level 1
                Me again. I just read your other post and I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. When I said we converted/imported our Word project I meant we used File->New->Project->Import tab->WinHelp project (HPJ). This worked quite well.