• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I insert space between a bullet character and text?

Participant ,
Mar 28, 2008 Mar 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported my FrameMaker file and template into RoboHelp 7. After the conversion to RoboHelp, the bullet characters are too close to the paragraph text that follows. I was able to change the span's spacing in the Font dialog box's Spacing tab to expand the space. How can I apply this to all bullets in the topic?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 28, 2008 Mar 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you want to do is to edit the style sheet used on the page to ensure that the list items (LI tags) appear as you want them. RoboHelp has a pretty good style sheet editor built in. I suspect that when you import from FrameMaker you do not import a style sheet but are probably using RoboHelp's default for that topic.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 31, 2008 Mar 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John. I will look at the LI tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2008 Apr 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

I'm having some similar troubles. How is the best way to edit the style sheet?

Thanks,
Virginia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using RoboHelp 7 then the CSS editor looks like something swiped out of Word. It is awkward and inconvenient but it does work. I find it easier to edit a RoboHelp file in Dreamweaver through robohelp and use Dreamweavers CSS editor.. (I know the user interface and can find what I want easily) For just a change or two you can use a text editor.

Hope this helps.
Marjorie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 02, 2008 Apr 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Virginia,

I don't know if you're still having problems. Another user (Framerobouser) suggested a workaround:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=680&threadid=1341920&CFID=2033858...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the free lite version of TopStyle from http://www.bradsoft.com

Generally regarded as one of the best CSS editors.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

I use TopStyle Lite, too, but only for the web pages I write in Notepad. It is free so you can't beat the price. I use the built-in style editor in RoboHelp for our compiled help. I have an ancient version (v. 2000) of RH and the style editor is workable. I would assume it is even better in the newer versions. You don't need to know anything about style sheet syntax to use it. Of course the downside of that is that it is less flexible. For example, it is difficult to set styles for nested lists.

In my version of RH, there is a "Style Sheet" option in the "Format" menu. Open that and find the style you are having trouble with. Perhaps someone with a newer version can give you more pertinent details - or look up "style sheet" in the RH help.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this thread.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the useful repsonses! All of this helps a great deal!

We are using Robohelp x5, so I think that falls into at least the Middle Ages version of RH if not Ancient. While I would love to jump up our FrameMaker 8.0 and RH x5 combo to the new Adobe Technical Comm Suite, I would have to make the case that it would save us significant time and money.

Thanks again --I just downloaded the TopStyle Lite!

Virginia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so dense... I re-read this thread. http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=680&threadid=1348980&e...

AJ Owens suggested that we remove "Pre" from the User Defined HTML Tag field box in the Style Settings dialog box. When I initially accessed this box, I experimented with checking and unchecking the Convert Autonumber to HTML list box, but it never occurred to me to clear the User Defined HTML Tag field of "Pre". Now that I have cleared it, I am able to make changes in the Style Sheet Editor. (I can expand spacing so that I now see more space between the bulleted and numbered characters and the text that follows.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so dense... I re-read this thread. http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=680&threadid=1348980&e...

AJ Owens suggested that we remove "Pre" from the User Defined HTML Tag field box in the Style Settings dialog box. When I initially accessed this box, I experimented with checking and unchecking the Convert Autonumber to HTML list box, but it never occurred to me to clear the User Defined HTML Tag field of "Pre". Now that I have cleared it, I am able to make changes in the Style Sheet Editor. (I can expand spacing so that I now see more space between the bulleted and numbered characters and the text that follows.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 14, 2008 Apr 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
If I import a FrameMaker file into RoboHelp 7, it looks fine. Then if I make one change (e.g. a change to the text), the formatting is thrown off. This happens even if I don't tweak a margin or spacing in a .css file. I just delete a couple of words, and then the next time I generate the file, the bullets and numbers are too close to the text that follows them in lists, etc. I've been deleing "Pre" from the user defined html tag field when I import, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp