5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2008 5:53 AM by thismarty

D11 Cross-Platform Shockwave Issue

thismarty Level 1
      I just did a build of a Shockwave version of a freeware game that I created in Director.

I'm using the DCR and HTML page generated by Director 11, but while it loads and works just fine on a Mac, it doesn't load on my Windows computer (or on my Mac under Parallels or BootCamp). On Windows, it just hangs there with an empty progress bar. Forever.

You can see it in action here: http://gigaplay.com/microbop/sw

Thing is, I've done a Shockwave build of another freeware game of mine and it works fine on my Windows computer. You can see it here: http://gigaplay.com/letterboxed/sw

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?
        • 1. D11 Cross-Platform Shockwave Issue
          hobin rood-A6phwi Level 1
          hi marty,

just tested with g5 macosx 10.3, safari, nothing happened.
          activity window telling me the state of game.dcr is prohibited...
          directly going to http://gigaplay.com/microbop/sw/game.dcr gives me this information:

Directory has no index file.
          Browsing this site or directory without an index file is prohibited.

If you are the site's webmaster, you can remedy this problem by creating a default HTML page with one of the following names:

• index.html
          • index.htm
          • default.htm
          • Default.htm
          • home.html
          • Home.chtml
          NOTE: Filenames are case sensitive, i.e., Home.html is not the same as home.html

by the way, why are you still working with director and not unity? just curious....
          have fun.

cheers
          • 2. Re: D11 Cross-Platform Shockwave Issue
            thismarty Level 1
            Heya, 66mrbd7.

Wow, talk about your cryptic usernames! ;-)

The error you got when you tried to go right to the DCR is intentional, as part of my site's setup to protect my ***-ets.

Going to the /sw directory should work though, and does on all of my Macs. I wonder if maybe it is because you are using MacOS 10.3? Isn't SW Player 11 MacOS 10.4 and up only? I wonder if anyone else is having similar difficulty? Well? Huh?

As for Unity, it rocks. Give me a few more weeks and I'll show you how much. ;-)

• 3. Re: D11 Cross-Platform Shockwave Issue
              hobin rood-A6phwi Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: MartyPlumbo
              Wow, talk about your cryptic usernames! ;-)

yip, strange name... wonder what my parents thought... :O)

and yes, worked fine on intel mac, leopard. was just too lazy to test on my imac ( still prefer my g5... - getting old?) and sort of curious what it looks like with old shockwave player. (on g5) camino was loading content, then informing that a new plugin has to be installed.
              funny games, btw :O)

installing the new shockwave plugin means that all the havok stuff out there is lost, which i don't want. at least not now.
              like http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/showcase/...
              what definitely sucks. poor guys!

hmm, not the right place i guess - but as it seems that for me director is history - are you using unity pro or indie?
              and is indie good enough? i downloaded the trial (by the way no problem ADOBE.... can you hear me ADOBE?! no, not listening anyway...) and it's quite impressing, but i don't have the time to get into it as much as i want to. so what do you think, how long does it take to put a project from director to unity with about 20000 lines of lingo...
              hmm, maybe a silly question, but i definitely have to look for an alternative to director. and any information is very much appreciated, especially as you are a director and unity user. by the way, the unity-community seems to be very friendly and helpful.
              • 4. Re: D11 Cross-Platform Shockwave Issue
                karlesman
                The game works correctly in my Win Xp on Firefox but Fails in Internet Explorer¡¡¡¡
                • 5. D11 Cross-Platform Shockwave Issue
                  thismarty Level 1
                  Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of Windows side failures, with both Explorer 6 and 7. I'm not sure what's up either. The problem might be in the Visual Basic script in the Director Publish-generated INDEX.HTM.

It's amazing to me how much time I spend in post getting a done project to deploy properly in Director. I was hoping D11 would remedy that problem, at least a bit. Maybe I was hoping for too much.