• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automating a Table Fill - utilizing list from Excell

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a form that I need to fill in InDesign.  2 columns of varying lengths, 20 rows per page in the document. Previously I have just copied and pasted 20 rows at a time, filling the pages.  There are some that need to spam 120+ pages... and that process will turn tedious quickly.  Just didn't know if there was a way to automate this.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Is there a reason that the Excel file has to be cut/pasted into InDesign? Perhaps the Excel file that contains the list of numbers in its entirety could be imported via the place menu and the formatting retained, and when placing, click autoflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you post a sample finished document? so that we can see what needs to be created, it would also be useful to know if you know the number of columns before hand (even the number of pages) or if that is all data driven from Excell?

regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a number sequence that I have built into excel.  Each page of the document looks like this, for as long as the list might be.  It differs from location to location.  Ideally I could link to that data and fill A1, A2; B1, B2... etc  throughout the document. Does that make sense?

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 7.44.22 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason that the Excel file has to be cut/pasted into InDesign? Perhaps the Excel file that contains the list of numbers in its entirety could be imported via the place menu and the formatting retained, and when placing, click autoflow.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering the same thing. "Place" should work just fine for this – even though InDesign has some quirks when working with tables, they should flow from one page to another without a problem.

If you are going to script this: looking at that sample of your table, I think it'd just as easily could be build inside ID from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've actually made a script for a task at work where I have to make a manifest of variable data to be printed, and I know the range value of each row is 300. Here is a video of it in action:

manifest maker.gif

It doesn't require excel at all, just a start value, end value and step value. Is this similar to what the OP is after?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would that span over multiple pages if needed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. My script exports to PDF without saving to ID but can easily change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines