Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reflow footnotes? Not on same page CS6

Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am editing a book with footnotes and have inserted a page that was left out of the original. It caused the footnotes to become disconnected from the corresponding page and I'm not sure how to fix it.  I only use Indesign CS6 very occasionally.  Couldn't find anything in the help menu.

TIA,

Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Hi Jef:

That's possible, or the person who created the file just didn't know to use the feature. I used to run footnotes as a separate story before footnotes were supported, which is how I recognized it.

Two options:

1. Adjust the footnote frames to match the references manually, or
  2. Cut each footnote to the clipboard, click at the current reference number, delete it, choose Type > Insert Footnote, and paste.

The first one will be faster. The second one will eliminate the issue after future edits.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jefferis:

You didn't clarify how you inserted the page so I'm guessing that's what caused the problem.

A good approach would be click an insertion point where you want the next text to appear in the threaded text frame, and use File > Place to add the new content (or paste if it is in a email). This will force all of the existing text and footnotes to flow to subsequent pages.

Just be sure to check the end of the story because it will most likely be overset. If it is, you can add a blank page at the end via the Pages panel or Layout > Pages, return to the last page with text, click the outport with the red overset text icon in it, and flow the final page of content onto the blank page you just added.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  what i did was paste text into the text area, not insert a page.  The issue is that it was 1.5 pages worth of text.  I did not Place a page.  But the footnotes are all off after that insert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share before/after screen shots? Or your file on dropbox?

If screen shots, be sure hidden characters and frame edges are visible.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, 2 before images, then 2 after images. The footnotes did not relocate to the new pagesbefore1.jpgbefore2.jpg

after1.jpgafter2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jefferis :

If you were using InDesign's automatic footnote feature, the notes would be in the same frame as the references, which looks like this:

Screenshot 2018-07-19 10.52.18.png

Instead, it appears you are running a separate story for just the notes. That would explain it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm.  Thanks. The document was originally created in an much earlier version of InD CCS6 and not sure that footnote feature was available?   So,  what would be the best way to realign these notes? 

Jef

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jef:

That's possible, or the person who created the file just didn't know to use the feature. I used to run footnotes as a separate story before footnotes were supported, which is how I recognized it.

Two options:

1. Adjust the footnote frames to match the references manually, or
  2. Cut each footnote to the clipboard, click at the current reference number, delete it, choose Type > Insert Footnote, and paste.

The first one will be faster. The second one will eliminate the issue after future edits.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks.  I used option 1 for now.  there are 149 footnotes! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines