• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recreating a style

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question may be more of technique and artistic ability but I'm basically trying to recreate/mimic the style of this particular skull graphic and apply it to a different image - if that makes sense. This is the image/style I want to closely replicate - i.e. white comic book style sort of bottom-lit looking:

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 2.05.18 PM.png

And this is the original photo with which I'm aiming to do so with:

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 2.05.35 PM.png

Image trace option doesn't really give me the full sort of 'comic art' style I would like.

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 2.05.59 PM.png

I'm starting to test out a graphic tablet but I'm not very proficient at it yet. Any suggestions? Or does someone want to take a stab at it for a price?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe give that photo a treatment in Photoshop before tracing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I don't have a lot of experience with Photoshop compared to illustrator, but I'll look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest the same as above- pre-treat it in photoshop- to make it more optimal for tracing, not to attempt your final look. Once traced in Illustrator you can remove the reference image and work with your drawing to achieve the look/lighting you are after. I would suggest working with that tablet, because they are awesome in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, thanks for the response. I will check that out.

The whole tablet situation isn't going as well as I hoped. Not sure if I need some tweaks to the gear I have. Like when I try to follow certain tutorials online, it seems like my results are not as good - like even functionally.

Anyway, thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They take lots n lots of practice for sure. I love it for Illustrator's pressure sensitive brush tips ( I'm a comic artist)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice! May I ask, what is your setup?

That  pressure sensitive aspect is pretty key in these tutorials I like, but the artist has different equipment from me, and his line work even seems different from mine - apart from my n00bness, just like a sample line he draws as a demo I can't replicate that well haha! So I get there's lots to learn technique-wise but I at least want smooth, controlled/desired results ya know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would plae the image in Illustrator and turn that layer into a template.  Then with the pencil tool I would draw the image or trace over it in a new layer.  The only way to get it exactly how you like it.  Then I would expand all the lines that you drew and erase elements that not needed.

Then I would go to object and do live paint>make.  Then I would simply fill in the areas that you want to be black and the areas you want to be white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice! May I ask, what is your setup?

At the moment, my setup is no tablet. I used a bamboo tablet for many years until it broke. I am in the process of trying to get my employers to get me one for my workstation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I would advise using the Pen tool to trace the over the detail white areas.

Maybe when drawing the white areas go for a more smoother look. Here is a tutorial that you might find useful:

https://app.pluralsight.com/player?name=d3c54b27-97bf-4d6e-9f4a-0e2799bc4bf5&mode=live&clip=0&course...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines