6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2018 10:35 AM by R Neil Haugen

Premiere Pro Slow Startup

Nicholas.M.Miller Level 1

Premiere Pro took 8 minutes to startup today. Please help, this is ridiculous

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup: Macintosh HD

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro Slow Startup
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hate to say it, but that is a rather old and low-capability computer. At some point, you will have to get newer and better gear. This app is built for more robust and newer gear. And with each release, is less suited for the older stuff. Although for such a long startup, I do wonder how much space is available on disc on that machine.

Neil

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro Slow Startup

Thanks for the response Neil. Could you offer specifics on what exactly it falls short on capability-wise? I'm asking because I thought 16gb ram would be powerful enough. The rest of it I honestly do not understand... just a bunch of numbers and letters that seem like proprietary made up jargon.

Thanks,

Nick

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro Slow Startup

A 2.6 Mhz processor is very slow, and from that era, is it 2 or 4 cores? Quite possibly 2 in a laptop.

So, 2 slow cores, a small amount of older (and slower) RAM, and an old architecture GPU with minimal vRAM.

Is the only drive used the internal spinning drive? Laptop drives were normally 5200 RPM rather than the standard 7200 RPM.

So if that's the case, that really is minimal gear.

They aren't joking about the need for decent gear.

Neil

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro Slow Startup
                yenaphe Adobe Community Professional

Even though your hardware is old, Premiere shouldn't take 8 minutes to load.

Which version of Premiere are you using, and do you have a lot of 3rd party effects/transitions installed on top of it?

When launching Premiere, it should list everything he is loading on the splash screen. Any item that stays for an unexpected amount of time?

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro Slow Startup

Neil,

Quad core

Hard Drive: 7200 rpm 750 GB SATA Disk (spinning)

Is 16gb RAM a small amount these days? Does it get "old"

What processor do I need?

Should I install a SSD

Yenaphe,

I have no 3rd party effects on top of it. I just upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.6 and have the latest from Premiere CC. I think my computer may have been freaked out by all the changes and new challenges.

When I launched Premiere I think it got held up on some quicktime thing it was trying to load. The last 3 launches have been within a minute. Not that that's fast but I could install a SSD

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro Slow Startup

SSD for projects would be a big boost for that rig. And yea, sounds like it was involved with an issue that one startup. PrPro can occasionally do something that seems odd while it sort itself out.

Neil