Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.3ds to .c4d

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm attempting to convert a .3DS file into .C4D using Cinema 4D Lite in After Effects. However my problem occurs right away as I try to open the .3DS file in Cinema 4D Lite - it cannot be opened (error: unknown file format). I am completely new to Cinema 4D Lite, so I'd like to know if it is possible in the first place to open a .3ds file in C4D Lite, or do I need the full version? Alternatively, are there any other ways to open the file in order to convert it to .C4D? I wish to convert the file in order to use it in Video Copilot which does not support .3ds.

I'm using AE 15.1.2 on MacOS (v10.13.4),

3,2 GHz Intel Core i5

RAM 32 GB

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Mr. Heaton is incorrect. C4D can import legacy 3DS files just fine. The pertinent question therefore would have to be whther or not the file actually was correctly prepared and exported from MAX and that simply doesn't seem to be the case here. so unless you have access to a fully licensed install of MAX and can check the file and fix those issues it's probably not going to be usable.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither After Effects nor Cinema 4D directly support 3D Studio Max project files.

You could give this a try: MaxToC4D – 3DtoAll

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Heaton is incorrect. C4D can import legacy 3DS files just fine. The pertinent question therefore would have to be whther or not the file actually was correctly prepared and exported from MAX and that simply doesn't seem to be the case here. so unless you have access to a fully licensed install of MAX and can check the file and fix those issues it's probably not going to be usable.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ooops.  Well, 50% incorrect.  Or 50% right?

After Effects won't import or open a 3DS file, but C4D Lite will.

Start a Comp, add a new MAXON CINEMA 4D File as a layer to launch C4D Lite and then open or merge the 3DS file.

Obviously, I don't open 3DS files that often, so here's the info from the Maxon Cinema 4D online help:

https://help.maxon.net/us/#F3DSIMPORT-F3DSIMPORTFILTER_GROUP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines