• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving from Inkscape to InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a small non-profit. When I began doing marketing materials for them, I was using Inkscape. I've created quite a few materials with Inkscape (a vector editor: https://inkscape.org/en/about/features/ ). Anyway, we finally found it in the budget to subscribe to Adobe. I'm now able to use all Adobe products, and I know InDesign will be my go-to for future publications at my job. I really don't want to lose or be unable to edit my previous work (I also don't want to have to re-create 3 months worth of work). With Inkscape, I can save/export to PNG, JPEG, SVG (which is standard for Inkscape), EPS, PDF, PS, and some others that don't seem useful (to me) from Inkscape.

Is there a way to make these previous materials usable and editable with InDesign or Illustrator at least? When I've tried opening EPS or SVG files from Inkscape to Illustrator, all of my text turns into little black boxes, and/or the quality is awful.

Would it just be easier to keep Inkscape for these documents, but continue with Adobe products for anything new? If it helps, my flyer/brochure templates were coming from Freepik, as I was unable to actually purchase anything.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You export to PDF and then use a third party application to convert them to InDesign…or save as Word from Acrobat, but if you’re expecting this to be seamless, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any suggestions for a converter? I knew it wouldn't be seamless for sure, but I didn't want to have to recreate every single thing I've made, either. It's several months worth of materials. If you can suggest somewhere to convert I'd appreciate it. I'll give Acrobat to Word a try, too. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recosoft and Markzware both have converters. I’ve never used them so I can’t really comment on how well they’ll work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'll look into them both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat gave me the following error:

"Bad PDF; could not read page structure. <Bad PDF; error in processing fonts; unsupported Type2 font>"

I'm not really sure what that means. The other two converters you mentioned sound great, but unfortunately they're not free, there's no room in the budget for something like that.

I'll definitely keep Googling, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if that will help, found this about Type 2 PostScript fonts:

https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/font/pdfs/5177.Type2.pdf

taken from this overview:

Font technical notes

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were you I'd export the Inkscape docs as PDF and open the PDF in Illustrator. But be aware, that simply opening these PDFs in AI probably won't allow you to instantly work with the file. To do that, you'll need a more advanced knowledge of Illustrator to do things like release clipping masks and compound paths.

Just a thought

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would save PDFs as Postscript files and then drop 'em onto Distiller with Press quality settings. That would produce "clean" PDF. Of course if no errors will occur during distilling process. 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't look like I have Distiller available to me - is that something I can download somewhere, or is it called something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that You have Adobe Acrobat Pro (not Reader!), Distiller is part of it, You'll find it in Acrobat folder.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 15.15.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! I found it! Hah. I just needed to right click and it opened automatically with it. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shimbu  wrote

I would save PDFs as Postscript files and then drop 'em onto Distiller with Press quality settings. That would produce "clean" PDF. Of course if no errors will occur during distilling process. 😃

Hi,

if Acrobat cannot open the PDF because of a font error message I would check if Inkscape can print to PostScript and try to distill that file to PDF. Let's see if Distiller throws the same error.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have You tried to export Your work as SVG and open this SVG in Illustrator? Maybe that's the way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have - they get really nasty looking for some reason. The Distiller thing seemed to work to at least open them in the Adobe programs, but I can't edit them. It seems more likely that I'll just need to leave them as is and keep Inkscape for now, which I suppose is okay for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Your working environment Windows or Mac OS? Is it possibile for You to upload one of this InkScape files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Windows. I'd upload one of the files, but I don't see a way to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a link to something like Dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. Thank you. I'm sorry I seem to illiterate. I'm pretty new to all this. Here's the link. There's several file types.

Dropbox - 10 Ten to Join - Simplify your life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this SVG file Inkscape native? There's no text blocks, all text is converted to curves. Not editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - it was all created and saved with Inkscape. They do have an output file type called "plain svg". Would something like that help? Or would there be a way to save the text as text? These are the file types I can save as:

123.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this file, I wonder if it's opening in illustrator on Your system.

https://we.tl/v2Qnti32FK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - opens in Illustrator, but I can't edit. At least I can get them open!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can edit this file. Look at screenshot:

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 12.55.09.png

It will take some time to clean file like this, it is a bit messy, but it is possibile!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! I'll keep playing around with it. I am new to Illustrator, so that could very well be in. Thank you! What did you end up doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines