1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 27, 2018 4:24 AM by try67

Create bookmark to Execute a Menu Item and open a file or folder - using VBA in MS Access

Greg Sevior Level 1

Hi

I am designing an Access Database that combines a number of PDF documents and then adds a set of bookmarks to various locations locations within the document and also to some external files/folders. Currently I using VBA to open the PDF object and create a set of bookmarks, which for the most part work fine, however the are some issues with windows opening files in a browser, or not at all  (It is not a file association issue).

I have included some of the code below which should explain what I am 

Set gApp = CreateObject("AcroExch.App")

Set gPDDoc = CreateObject("AcroExch.PDDoc")   'Set gAVDoc = CreateObject("AcroExch.AVDoc")

If gPDDoc.Open(sTargetPDFPath) Then

Set jso = gPDDoc.GetJSObject

Set BMR = jso.BookMarkRoot

BMR.createChild "BRIEF DOCUMENTS", "", 0

BMR.createChild "WITNESSES", "", 1

... etc...

The next part iterates though some records to retrieve file paths and creates Java script  App.LaunchURL call which is added in the bookmark   (see following)

sPath = RSLvl!ExhibitBMPath

sBMName = RSLvl![Bmk_Name]

bmcChldLv2.createChild sBMName, "app.launchURL('" & sPath & "', true)", PositionIndex

What I would like to do instead of using the app.launchURL code option (which I believe is the likely cause of the intermittent issues I am having)  is use the   'Execute a Menu Item'  > 'Open File'  and/or 'Execute a Menu Item'  > 'Open Folder'   (naturally providing the path to the relevant file/folder.

I have googled for days and days, read an re-read the SDK and numerous other publications, which was all helpful and helped me with what I already have, but for the life of me I can not workout how to build the bookmark to Execute a Menu Item.  

An assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.