Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Premier Pro user - Choppy playback using 4K iPhone 8 footage

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am relatively new to Premier Pro, and to video editing in general, so calling myself a novice at this sort of thing is a compliment.

I am currently undergoing a small video project within my work place, in which I have been tasked with recording and editing a 2 minute video clip. I have used an iPhone 8 to record the required footage and I have filmed in 4K at 30fps (3840 x 2160). I have uploaded the footage to Premier Pro but I have noticed that the playback is rather choppy and extremely slow. I believe that this is possibly due to the system that I am currently editing on (details below), and that it can't cope with the 4K clip that has been uploaded. I have also tried playing the clip outside of Premier Pro and it still produces the same results.

Upon research I have read that creating a proxy version of the clip will allow me to edit and playback in a lower resolution, thus delivering a smoother playing video with the same 4K quality after exporting the clip. After carefully following the correct steps I was able to create a proxy version of the clip that rendered it to 1024 x 540 (GoPro CineForm), but to no avail. After toggling between proxies, I noticed that there was little to no difference in the playback of the clip, apart from the reduced quality that proxy had produced. It still played extremely slow and with some lag.

Was hoping to find out if there are other methods of getting a more smoother playback of my 4K footage in Premier Pro, whether it be different proxy settings or a new idea completely.

System specifications:

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz

2.80 GHz (2 processors)

Installed RAM: 5.00GB

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi jamesc77819106,

You are using Premiere Pro on an underpowered machine and the only thing that I can suggest is either upgrade or use Premiere Pro on a different machine. Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines