Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader DC: open PDF in Reader instead of Internet Explorer

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community,

I am looking for a solution to view PDF files in Reader DC instead of Internet Explorer if I am opening it from the internet.

Until Reader XI it was possible to realize this by setting the following registry key:

Path: HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\11.0\Originals

Value: bBrowserIntegration

Type: REG_DWORD

Data: 0 (zero) or 1 (one)

0 means that the PDF will be opened in Reader XI and 1 means that the file will be shown within the browser. This works without changing any settings in the browser.

I need a clear information if this is still possible in Reader DC. It seems that it´s not possible anymore, maybe related to the internal Reader DC security structure. I tested the registry keys but they didn´t work.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

Michael

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to use the registry, never was as you could control it in Preferences. It's changed a lot in DC. Look under Reader Preferences, in the Internet section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After further searching on the Internet I found the solution - you have to set the following registry key:

Path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000}

Value: Flags

Type: REG_DWORD

Data: 0 (zero) or 1 (one)

0 means that the PDF will be shown in the browser, 1 opens the PDF in Reader DC.

All other possibilites are NOT working except enabling/disabling the add-on in Internet Explorer. The registry setting above do exactly this so that it can be handled by a double click on a .reg file in the Windows start menu (for example).

What is NOT working:

- Edit > Accessibility > Setup Assistant (last step in the wizard, option "Display PDF documents in the web browser")

- every option in Edit > Preferences > Internet

- Disable "Open in Browser" via GPO

- setting registry key "bBrowserIntegration" in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\Originals"

Nevertheless thanks for your time!

Best regards,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines