14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2006 9:00 PM by gdmt

text & speed

gdmt
      hi there...
      just 2 stupid questions
      1.- i apply an animated mask to dynamic textfield but i have to load the text for every keyframe to show it and it looks like a blinking text, any idea to load the text only once?

2.- i apply animated masks to movies that loads in the main movie, but when the movie loads (animated mask) the speed of the movie and the main movie is pretty slow, then when the shape tween ends the speed is ok. how can i do to correct this?
        • 1. Re: text & speed
          crazyjoemilan Level 2
          1- are your fonts embedded in the flash file? err, the characters you're using? Its under "character options" when you select a dynamic field.

2- shape tweens love to bog down movies. I shy away from them unless I can make them simple. There are other ways to get those effects.
          • 2. Re: text & speed
            gdmt Level 1
            thanx 4 reply Mr Helpy mcHelpson!!!

1.- yes, they're embedded... the textfield is ok, 'cause if i don't apply any mask the text is loaded and shown... the problem is when i apply the mask, if i don't load the text in every keyframe of the animated mask, the text is masked 'till the first keyframe and then it hides...

2.- you're saying that big masks slow the animation? 'cause it's this way... the mask is a big circle with the size of the movie...
            • 3. Re: text & speed
              crazyjoemilan Level 2
              1- I'm confused

2-big TWEENS can slow down your animation. An 800x600 fade from black to white while other actions are occuring will look a lot less smooth than a smaller one. Its just the way it is. Shape tweens seem to be even worse than motion tweens (for me) unless they're extremely simple.
              • 4. Re: text & speed
                gdmt Level 1
                1.- can i send u the file? how? uploading it to my site?
                2.- yes it's a shape tween from left to right, not color (it's a mask). how can i get the same effect with no mask?
                • 5. Re: text & speed
                  crazyjoemilan Level 2
                  yeah, upload the file and post the link here. I'm running MX 2004, so you may have to downsave it XD.
                  • 6. Re: text & speed
                    gdmt Level 1
                    • 7. Re: text & speed
                      crazyjoemilan Level 2
                      I can't download that file. Its just not working.
                      • 8. Re: text & speed
                        gdmt Level 1
                        you have to wait to the countdown and then click
                        "Click here to download file sv.rar" (you can use download-accelerators and you can resume broken downloads)
                        it worx...
                        • 9. Re: text & speed
                          crazyjoemilan Level 2
                          yeah, sorry 'bout that, my stuffit was acting up. I got it now. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.
                          • 10. Re: text & speed
                            crazyjoemilan Level 2
                            Okay, you shouldn't need to copy that action script on each of those keyframes. instead, your main timeline should be just 1 frame with your actions, and layers. Have the action script control other movieclips inside. Just have the text load into another movieclip, and don't play that MC until the external files are loaded.

Is that any help?

As per the speed, you had the fps setting at 60, and mine played back (actual) at 32. 32 is really high (TV quality) but its certainly not slow on my screen.
                            • 11. Re: text & speed
                              gdmt Level 1
                              sorry, my english isn't good, i don't understand... could u edit that fla and send it to me?

and... u say that 60 fps is high? should i set it to 32? 32 is good?
                              so why you can set it higher in flash?
                              • 12. Re: text & speed
                                crazyjoemilan Level 2
                                I'm afraid I don't edit .fla's and send them back. I prefer to help you solve the problem rather than do it myself. In this case, it seems I'm failing you, so I'm sorry.

Anyone else want to take a crack at this for GDMT?

thanks,

helpy
                                • 13. Re: text & speed
                                  gdmt Level 1
                                  hey, be cool...
                                  i just don't understand...
                                  could u explain it again more clearly?

"Okay, you shouldn't need to copy that action script on each of those keyframes."
                                  (i understand this)
                                  "instead, your main timeline should be just 1 frame with your actions, and layers. Have the action script control other movieclips inside. Just have the text load into another movieclip, and don't play that MC until the external files are loaded."
                                  (i understand this, but i don't understand what to do in flash)
                                  • 14. Re: text & speed
                                    gdmt Level 1
                                    i could solve the problem inserting the mask animation inside a mc
                                    i don't know if is this what you tried to tell me...

thanx anyway...