3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2018 12:25 PM by dj_paige

SSD/Hard Drive... adobe wants me to import??

adisonidle

Recently moved all my photos from my SSD to my HD. When i try to add the catalog from my hard drive, it's asking me to reimport all my photos... I dont want to copy them again, i just want lightroom to use my HD instead of my SSD... i'm so confused!

Can lightroom itself be installed on the SSD, but "use" the photos from the HD?

• 1. Re: SSD/Hard Drive... adobe wants me to import??
          dj_paige Level 10
          When i try to add the catalog from my hard drive

I don't really know what this means or what steps are implied here, could you use the Lightroom name of the command or function that you are performing?

Lightroom doesn't ask you to re-import all your photos — if you have created a new catalog then it asks you to Import (not re-import) your photos and create a brand new catalog. If that's what is going on, then this is the wrong thing for you to do.

Do you still have your catalog file from before the move? If so, just point this catalog file to the photos new location on the HD. See these instructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 2. Re: SSD/Hard Drive... adobe wants me to import??
            adisonidle Level 1

sorry, let me clarify.

had all my photos on my SSD. used lightroom for years. recently moved all photos to my HD. when i try to "create a new catalog" (file - new catalog) to get the photos from my HD, it's asking me to import them all. I am afraid that if i "import" the photos, it'll just make copies of them and waste space. i dont want duplicates.

• 3. Re: SSD/Hard Drive... adobe wants me to import??
              dj_paige Level 10

No need for a new catalog here, use the previous catalog (from before the move). Follow the instructions at the link I gave.

Yes