4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2008 9:58 AM by garythebadger

Migrate existing v5 project to v7

garythebadger
      I am taking over management of an existing working project that was created by someone else in RH5.
      I must use my RH7 client. All the source files are on a server, and I can navagate to all the folders/files.
      There are files that end in .XPJ, .HHP, .HHC, etc.

Do I use "Import" from RH7, if so, which kind of project do I select?
      Or do I use File > Open from RH7 and navigate to the source folder, if so, which file do I select?
      I know how to use RH7, but I've never imported an exisiting RH5 project.

Thank you.

Gary Berger
      CenterBeam, Inc.
        • 1. Re: Migrate existing v5 project to v7
          RoboWizard Level 4
          Hi Gary

You don't import older projects.

What you do is simply open the older project using version 7. (I'd suggest making a backup first, just in case.)

Basically the process would be as follows:
          * Copy the files from the network location to your PC (VERY important step-don't open them while on the LAN)
          * Start RoboHelp 7
          * Click File > Open (from inside RoboHelp 7)
          * Navigate to the folder on your C drive where you copied the files
          * Point at the ProjectName.XPJ file and open the project

Hopefully this was helpful... Rick
          • 2. Re: Migrate existing v5 project to v7
            garythebadger Level 1
            Rick,

Thanks very much for the fast and clear reply!

Just to confirm, I MUST copy the 150Meg of source files/docs to my client PC
            before I open it? I can't open it from the server where the source files reside?

Gary
            • 3. Re: Migrate existing v5 project to v7
              RoboWizard Level 4
              Hi again Gary

Just to confirm, I MUST copy the 150Meg of source files/docs to my client PC
              before I open it? I can't open it from the server where the source files reside?

Sure, you can open and work on it while on the server. Then again, one may always place a single bullet in a six shooter, spin the magazine aim at your temple and pull the trigger. And 5 times out of 6 you will live!

The bottom line is that vast experience here has taught us that projects do not survive well in that environment. Some folks get away with it for years and they are the most difficult to convince that the server can't be the issue when they come here seeking advice.

You may wish to review an article I have up. Click here

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: Migrate existing v5 project to v7
                garythebadger Level 1
                Rick,

Message understood, I will copy the files to my PC before opening in RH7.

Gary