• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recording voiceovers in Premiere - why am I getting stereo instead of mono?

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a USB mic (Samson Meteor) to record voiceovers in Premiere.  For some reason, when I finish recording, I'm getting a dual audio track (two waveforms), meaning stereo instead of mono.  Any idea why this is?  Is it perhaps duplicating the mono and generating two identical tracks?  Thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Right click on the track header area and from the drop down menu choose Add Tracks (with an "s", not add track).

When the pane opens add a mono audio track:

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 10.21.59 AM.png

Record your voice over there and it will be mono.

davidp91420439  wrote

Will duplicating the audio into two separate L and R tracks change the sound at all, or is it something I shouldn't care about?

It won't change the sound from a mono source, and the amount of concern should be very low - but I would say it is less confusing down the road to h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you recording onto a mono track or a 'Standard' track ie. 'Stereo'.

Create a new mono track and try recording onto that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure, but I think I'm just recording onto a standard track.  How do I specify that the track be mono?  When I recorded with my lav mic on my phone and imported the mp3 into Premiere, it automatically shows up as mono, but when recording with the Meteor mic in my computer directly in Premiere it shows up as two identical tracks (stereo, I assume?).  So it doesn't seem to be an issue with the way the audio track is set up, but with rather how Premiere is deciding how to interpret the audio clip.  Is this something I should be conerned about?  Will duplicating the audio into two separate L and R tracks change the sound at all, or is it something I shouldn't care about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right click on the track header area and from the drop down menu choose Add Tracks (with an "s", not add track).

When the pane opens add a mono audio track:

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 10.21.59 AM.png

Record your voice over there and it will be mono.

davidp91420439  wrote

Will duplicating the audio into two separate L and R tracks change the sound at all, or is it something I shouldn't care about?

It won't change the sound from a mono source, and the amount of concern should be very low - but I would say it is less confusing down the road to have mono clips from a mono source.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines