2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2018 9:48 AM by robertw10426019

Lightroom Classic Crashing at Startup

robertw10426019

Hardware Specs:

Macbook Pro 15" 2017 3.1GHz Intel Core i7

16GB RAM

MacOs 10.13.5

Software Specs:

Lightroom Classic CC (most recent version as of this writing)

Build 1176617 (according to Get Info window)

I would love to tell you more but I can't get it to open to find more details

Symptoms:

App begins to open, the app information window appears and says "Reading Preferences..." then it unexpectedly quits.  Sometimes it will stay up slightly longer, and you'll see the app window appear behind it for a split second.  Sometimes the info window only appears for a split second. But it crashes every single time.  This has been going on for some time (months).  I have updated the app at least once in this timeframe.

Attempts at fixing that do not work for me:

• Deleting preferences (multiple times)
      • Signing in and out of Creative Cloud (multiple times)
      • Uninstalling the app and re-installing the App (via the CC toolbar window)
      • Uninstalling the entire Creative Cloud suite and reinstalling
      • Every other suggested fix I can find online

Other information:

I also have Adobe Lightroom CC installed (version 1.4) and it does work. However, tethered capture was dropped from this application (why??), so I really need to be able to access the Classic Version as well in order to capture in the studio.

• 1. Re: Lightroom Classic Crashing at Startup
          dj_paige Level 10

Hmm, seems like you have tried everything but the kitchen sink. I have read that some people overcome this problem by creating a new user account in the MAC operating system and running Lightroom from that new user account. Worth a try.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Classic Crashing at Startup
            robertw10426019 Level 1

@dj_paige thanks for the tip.  While a solution like that might work for some, I'm just not willing to log in and out of user accounts every time I want to capture photos.  Creative Cloud is way to expensive of a product to have to jump through those sorts of hoops just to use the software.  At this point I'm probably going to bite the bullet and invest in PhaseOne CaptureOne.  Much superior software anyway, IMO.  Thank you.