• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's the best 2-in-1 for editing with Premiere?

Contributor ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My research so far has lead me to the Dell XPS 9575 - though I'm concerned it only has 16GB RAM, with for £2,000+ doesn't give a very promising longevity, especially since it's soldered RAM (grrr) their 32GB option is delayed again (next year now!!)

HP Studio x360 is allegedly the world's most powerful 2-in-1 now (I hope so at ~£3,000 for 32GB option) but I'm really unsure about Quadro. I've generally understood Quadro to be a load of shite and overpriced marketing hype for all but 1% of users. And even us professional Adobe editors don't fall into that 1%.

By the way, before it tangents the conversation - No this wouldn't be my main edit suite. But sometimes I do need to pack extremely light and edit on the move (and 2-in-1 form factor is essential for me in a light laptop for a number of reasons, including using external keyboard + pen)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the experience would be most unpleasant, and recommend buying a case that's easy to carry around for your main system.  You'll save a couple grand and have a much better editing experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Appreciate your time, but that is exactly the tangent I was trying to prevent with my PS. at the bottom of my post.
For you and anyone itching to talk about this device type's viability for video editing, I will say I feel they are extremely viable because:

1. As I said, it's not my main edit suite. I also would never recommend a 2-in-1 (or any compact laptop) for most peoples' main edit suite
  2. As I also said, I need to pack extremely light (not quite light). You might like to hike up mountains and cycle around with a computer case, I don't!
  3. 2-in-1s can be very capable (not compared to the very latest desktop equivalent) but generally in editing 1080p footage. I wonder Jim when the last time you actually edited on a top spec, recent 2-in-1 was?
    Here's the XPS 15 2-in-1 just about cutting 4K video footage, with Lumetri colour grade, in real time: Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 9575 Content Creation REVIEW - 3D, Video Editing, Photography, Artist - YouTube - for me, that's definitely viable for a basic quick edit when I'm out in the field, and for the many people out there who need to produce quick little videos on the move. The drives are extremely fast SSDs, will happily connect via Thunderbolt 3 (that's a 40Gb [5 gigabytes] per second channel!) to external SSDs with minimal latency, the GPUs are also very capable with Mercury; happily playing multiple streams of full HD footage with colour grades or basic graphics, while plugged into multiple 4K monitors, and I would bring my main edit suite keyboard or a slimline alternative that weighs <300 grams so not worried about your keyboard concern either!
  4. Price: Again I think you're a bit out of date, because if I saved a couple of grand on the Dell XPS 2-in-1, I'd be leaving you with less than £0 to build me your competing small desktop computer. I don't think you'll be able to build much for zero pounds.

Hope that's helpful for you / others and look forward to any leads on my question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim may be correct there. You see, spending $2000 on that 2-in-1 only gets you a quad-core CPU and no CUDA-capable GPU at all. That by itself makes that Dell worth much less than its asking price. What's worse, both the integrated Intel graphics and the Radeon Vega M GPU are enabled, with absolutely no way at all whatsoever to disable the integrated Intel graphics in the EFI. This will cause conflicts in Premiere Pro, which can only be fixed by locking the program to the software-only rendering mode (no GPU acceleration) in the project settings. One can build a system with a hexa-core or octo-core CPU, 32GB of RAM, a 500 GB-class SSD and a mid-range CUDA-capable graphics card for less than that.

DISCLAIMER: These prices are in the USA only. UK pricing may be drastically different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just wanting to know what the best 2-in-1 is for editing in Premiere. You can read it as "the least bad" if that helps.

No problem if you don't know the answer to my question.

I'm not looking for performance much better than the Youtube video I linked to ^ showing realtime full res playback cutting colour graded 4K footage.

That's literally all I'm looking for in my *secondary* editing machine (will be my carry everywhere laptop too).

PS. Not sure if you guys saw the HP I also linked to ^

It has a nVidia Quadro P1000. Which definitely has CUDA.

But the Dell has a GPU with about as much welly as a GTX 1070 maxQ. And I cut on it in Premiere CC. I'm not sure if you're aware Premiere supports Open CL for Mercury Playback too? Not just CUDA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Hardware forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised I'm so alone with this question!

I'll try the Reddit forum : /

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's why you got so few responses to your question:

Very, very few of us expert users have any of those 2-in-1s at all. And most of use have no mobile PCs at all (or more specifically, none that we use at all for video work) – we have only huge desktop towers for a PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, that huge desktop tower guy was me the last 10+ years. Just flogged self-build server case desktop #4.

I'm aware there's probably only a few thousand people using Premiere on a 2-in-1. In terms of raw performance, I'd suspect both the 2-in-1s I mentioned ^ match or out perform at least 1/4 of the machines used by people in this forum. Would be interesting to test that though.

Anyway, I've found some people in Reddit, cheers : ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines