13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2018 11:18 AM by Heathside Boy

Cannot open PDF in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Heathside Boy Level 1

Excuse me if I'm in the wrong forum here but I am new to these forums.  If I am in the wrong forum, can somebody please advise me where I should put this kind of question?

There may be an easy answer to this but I can't seem to find it.  I have looked on Google but nothing there has helped my problem so far.

I have a laptop and I have Microsoft Outlook 2016 and I am using Windows 10.  My main email account is a 'Live' account.  In the past, when I received an email in this application that had a PDF attached, I had no problems in opening the PDF attachment.  Now, it is very hit and miss.  Most of the time now, when I double click, right click etc. etc. on a PDF attachment, it will not open.  I can open a preview of the PDF but this will not allow me to print it.  Only when the PDF is fully open properly will it let me print, so at this point in time, I cannot print the PDF either.

I can get around this by sending it to 1 of my Gmail accounts and then opening it on the web but this is very inconvenient for me.

Very occasionally when I start my computer, let's say the next day, it will work and then the PDF will open as normal.  As I said, most of the time they do not open so something is going on here.

In contrast, when I go on my desktop computer that has also got the same account on it also within Microsoft Outlook 2016 & Windows 10, the attachment opens as normal.

Has anybody got any ideas why I am having trouble on my laptop with this problem?

What I have tried so far:

when I did manage to open Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, I checked to see if I needed an update.  The programme was up to date.  I clicked on repair.  Still I had the same problem after this.

The only thing I haven't tried is to uninstall the program and reinstall it.  When I tried to uninstall it, I am being told
      that it is open and I cannot uninstall it.

Any ideas why I cannot uninstall it or what I should do so that I can?

I'm hoping it is so simple that I will be embarrassed but I don't mind that if this problem is solved for me.

Any help will be truly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

• 1. Re: Cannot open PDF in Microsoft Outlook 2016
          jane-e Adobe Community Professional

Please read this thread:

Re: Windows 10 Taking Over all File Extentions

You may need to reset the pdf extension to open using Acrobat. You can change the Association in Windows File Explorer by right-clicking the file. I think the command is Open With or something similar. You want to make sure you select All Files, not just the current one.

• 2. Re: Cannot open PDF in Microsoft Outlook 2016
            Heathside Boy Level 1

Hi Jane,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you elaborate on your answer please?

You say that I may need to reset the PDF extension to open using
            Acrobat.  I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Do you mean I should right click any PDF file within file Explorer?

Could you give me step-by-step instructions on exactly what you mean please?

Just to reiterate, it is only where Microsoft Outlook 2016 is concerned that I
            am having trouble opening a PDF attachment.

Thank you

Andy

• 3. Re: Cannot open PDF in Microsoft Outlook 2016
              Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

You haven't given any detail of what you mean by "cannot open". People use this phrase to mean all sorts of things including

* There is an error message instead

* No error message but a sound

* An app opens but you can't see the file

* The file opens but you see only junk graphics

* The file opens but you see only junk characters

* The system crashes and must be rebooted

* The app starts but is locked and must be killed

Without detail we can only give the most general advice.

Also please tell is the actual version of Reader you have such as 2016.234.23442. "Up to date" is a trap because failed updates are  big problem.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Cannot open PDF in Microsoft Outlook 2016
                Heathside Boy Level 1

What I wrote in my first post was a pretty accurate account of what is happening.

What I mean by, "cannot open" is in Microsoft Outlook 2016, an email with a PDF attached or any PDF for that matter, when I have double clicked on it, will not open per se.  Just will not open.  If I right click it and then click open, it still does not open at all.

If I click on preview, then this will open the PDF in preview form but it will not let me print the PDF in preview form. For me to print the PDF, the PDF needs to be opened up fully.

Sometimes when I restart the computer, the PDF will then open but this is very hit and miss and I never used to have this problem.  It is very important that I am able to open my PDFs.

The actual version I have is:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Continuous Release | Version 2018.011.20055

I have tried updating and I'm being told there are no updates available.  I have also tried a repair but still the problem persists after trying this.

Hope that description helps and is now clearer.

Thanks

Andy

• 5. Re: Cannot open PDF in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Good, that is actually the latest...Well, you’ve just explained in more detail by repeating “will not open”. that doesn’t move us forward unfortunately. I suggested a number of possibilities, perhaps one applies.

• 6. Re: Cannot open PDF in Microsoft Outlook 2016
                    Heathside Boy Level 1

You haven't given any detail of what you mean by
                    "cannot open". People use this phrase to mean all sorts of things
                    including

* There is an error message instead

* No error message but a sound

* An app opens but you can't see the file

* The file opens but you see only junk graphics

* The file opens but you see only junk characters

* The system crashes and must be rebooted

* The app starts but is locked and must be killed

Without detail we can only give the most general advice.

None of your above possibilities apply.  Double clicking on the PDF, nothing happens.  It does not open the PDF at
                    all.

Right clicking on the PDF and then selecting open, nothing happens.  It does not open the PDF at all.

I couldn't be more detailed than that because that's what's happening.

None of your suggestions above happen when I try to open the PDF.  It just does not open.

Thanks

Andy

• 7. Re: Cannot open PDF in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Ok, so your definition of ”cannot open” is “nothing changes on screen, no app starts, nothing becomes visible”. Unusual but not unique.

So... at the time you it, is Acrobat Reader already running (shown in the taskbar)? If it is already running, try stopping it first. If it isn’t already running try starting it first and leaving it running. Any change?

• 8. Re: Cannot open PDF in Microsoft Outlook 2016
                        jane-e Adobe Community Professional

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Heathside+Boy  wrote

Hi Jane,
                        You say that I may need to reset the PDF extension to open using
                        Acrobat.  I'm not quite sure what you mean.
                        Could you give me step-by-step instructions on exactly what you mean please?
                        Just to reiterate, it is only where Microsoft Outlook 2016 is concerned that I
                        am having trouble opening a PDF attachment.

Hi Andy,

Here is info about how to change file associations within the Microsoft operating system. In your case, you want to make sure that the .pdf extension is set to open Adobe Acrobat Reader.

How File Associations Work | Microsoft Docs

Did you read the response from Dov Isaacs (Adobe staff) that I sent earlier about Windows 10 and Outlook and PDFs? He explains your issue pretty well.

• 9. Re: Cannot open PDF in Microsoft Outlook 2016
                          Heathside Boy Level 1

Hi Jane,

My .pdf extension default is already set to Adobe Acrobat Reader as shown below in my default settings if this is what you mean.

Yes, I did read Dov Isaacs post.  If I am to complain to Microsoft about this as he suggests, how would I go about this?

This is the funny thing.  Yesterday, it was working perfectly and I could open my PDFs.  Today, even after restarting a couple of times, it is not working and the PDFs do not open.

In answer to Test Screen Name's question, when Acrobat Reader will not open, it is not already running and does not show on the taskbar.

Thanks

Andy

PDF File Ending.jpg

• 10. Re: Cannot open PDF in Microsoft Outlook 2016

Thank you for your reply. Does it make any difference if you do start Acrobat Reader first, from the START menu, and then use Outlook?

• 11. Re: Cannot open PDF in Microsoft Outlook 2016
                              Heathside Boy Level 1

No Test Screen Name, even trying to start Acrobat Reader from the start menu and then trying to open the PDF from Outlook does not work.  Very puzzling indeed. Any other ideas?

• 12. Re: Cannot open PDF in Microsoft Outlook 2016
                                Heathside Boy Level 1

The only other thing I have not tried yet is to uninstall Acrobat Reader and then reinstall it.

I found this thread in these forums.
                                https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2464203

(Adobe Reader & Acrobat Cleaner Tool)
                                https://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html

If I undertake these procedures, will my existing PDFs still be okay if I uninstall using these instructions and the Adobe Reader & Acrobat Cleaner Tool?  If I then reinstall, will all my existing PDFs still work as they did before?

Or, should I not undertake these procedures at all?  I thought I'd ask first before delving in straight away with these procedures because the last thing I need is to lose my existing PDF files.

Thanks

Andy

• 13. Re: Cannot open PDF in Microsoft Outlook 2016
                                  Heathside Boy Level 1

Okay, I have found the solution but there is still a problem.  I really need the help of a top-class Adobe Reader expert here please.  There must be somebody that knows the answer to this seeing as this is the Adobe forums.

I eventually, managed to open Adobe Acrobat Reader.  Once opened I then clicked on Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced).

At the top of the page it then says, "Sandbox Protections."  Below that there is a small box that says, "Enable Protected Mode at startup."  This box is already checked.  If I uncheck it and then click "OK," then any PDF will open and they will open every time.

What I am afraid of, is by leaving this box unchecked permanently, I am unprotected in some way.  Could an expert please tell me whether I should leave this box unchecked or is there another solution?

In looking, I found this link from these very forums so there must be someone in here who is knowledgeable and knows about this problem?  The only difference is, the link offers answers on this subject for Adobe 10, not the latest version of Adobe Reader that I have. It also involves altering the registry. Whoever knows about this problem, could you please come back to me before I go down that route as shown in the link that may now be different with the latest version of Adobe Reader.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/780296

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated

Andy