Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please help with this rejection...I'm new here

Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1-P1180055_2.jpg

Only joined a few weeks ago, and my rejection rate has decreased as I become better at submission. This latest one was rejected for Technical Issues. This was an edited version of the original which I ran through Photoshop Express before submission, and I checked it at 100% before uploading. Have I missed something or do I have to accept that my 63 year old eyes aren't as good as they should be? Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Steve.

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Difficult to say:

Compression is quite high, but that may be the web effect.

There are scriptures on the picture, but that is not technical reasons.

It's a little bit washed out

It's not very high resolution

...but all in all, I do not see a valid reason to refuse.

To put it that way: it's not a great picture, but there are worse in the stock...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it's much appreciated.  I'll take another look at it. I was concentrating more on the wind sock The breeze was quite difficult on the day ( I have numerous images with the windsock flat against the pole).

Thanks once again.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you upload here the original image you submitted? If so, apart from the image composition, I think the overall quality is not good enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting another comment. I think on balance I preferred your earlier version.

It's a little bit washed out

It's not very high resolution... but all in all, I do not see a valid reason to refuse.

To put it that way: it's not a great picture, but there are worse in the stock...

What attracted me (late in life) to this genre, was not matter what you do.... you can always do better.

Thanks again,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

As they rejected it on technical issues, I think maybe white balance. Although only a small adjustment (+3) is needed in the temperature slider:

1-P1180055_2whitebalance.jpg

And an adjustment with lens correction, to make the verticals a bit more vertical.

If you use Photoshop, you can use the Camera Raw Filter to make these adjustments.

However, the composition is also part of technical issues, so I also think that the composition, I'm afraid is not that good. You need more space at the top, so a vertical position may have been better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it. The scene set me several challenges. My interest was really with the windsock and the breeze, and in concentrating on that, lost the perspective with the pole, gantries, ladders, and ducting... if I "squared" the ducting then the building looked like it was sinking. I currently only have the Express version of Photoshop, but will update this shortly. I had adjusted the white balance, but my old eyes still need more training.

Thanks again,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The express version comes also with ACR (Adobe's program to edit RAW files), if I remember well. Else you could use the program coming with your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for continuing to support my efforts. Steve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found the reviewers don't like a lot of negative space in the photos. I've had a few rejected either as technical or exposure issues.

I think much of the time they review based on the histogram rather than the artistic merits of a photo, so with a lot of sky, the blue part of the histogram will be way up at the top end I suspect... which may flag to the reviewer there's something technically wrong with it.

From a negative space POV, I would say that the framing looks a little odd as it makes it look like the clouds or the windsock could be the subject. With the metal work falling off to the left, I'd like to see more of that fill the image than sky... that would be my personal preference. Framing of a shot comes under Technical, so maybe try a different crop and see how that goes

The only slightly other picky thing I'd say is that the structure looks as though it's leaning over to the left a little i.e. not straight in the photo. If you look at the bottom-most part of the structure, the horizontal line almost enforces that it's not straight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it's much appreciated.  I'll take another look at it. The breeze was quite difficult on the day ( I have numerous images with the windsock flat against the pole) I elected to keep the ladder vertical as it was in reality, with the ducting dropping to the left, but this might have messed with the perspective.

Thanks once again.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

This is what I think the reason is. The structure which is at the forefront is cropped. The windsock, which is your subject is too small. Probably if you had included the entire structure and windsock in portrait, it would be acceptable. Another thing, I believe you should remove the prints. I hope this helps.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JG,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It's much appreciated. At the time I took the image, it was a breezy day and I was concentrating capturing the windsock "flying", to the detriment of the rest of the composition. I just put this down to old age and being easily distracted by brightly coloured things.

Thanks once again.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Looks as though you have gathered excellent comments from my friends here so follow their advice and you will do well. HOWEVER, - you must stop talking about old eyes and age. From those of us your age and maybe older, we tell you do not need to believe your eyes are going to go bad. Have your eyes checked regularly and use glasses as needed. Now - carry on. Best regards, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines