• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

zombie state compiling slideshow apparently exceeding a maximum

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice that there is some upper limit, perhaps tied to the processor"s available memory, or whatever, to the size of a slideshow that it can render. which is fine. no problem. but it is not conscious of that upper limit either prior to beginning or while processing. and so it just dies after so number ... in my last experience, 173, and just sits there a zombie process.

I wrote compilers at bell labs for over a decade, and you just can't do that with software. if you are servicing people that are less savvy about software, but need your software to get on their lives, there is a code responsibility that comes with comes with the territory. you can't let a process hang. you can't not deal with anomalies that are difficult because of all the platforms etc. it's just part of the territory.

with apps, there is no software responsibility. but with system software, you have to take it upon yourself because it is a one to many relationship and entire trust of our community is based on a material code layer that is intelligently designed. that means, you have to worry all the edge conditions and the reality of the machine. it doesn't get anyone promoted or sell any new hot feature, but software is house of cards without it, just a bag of bits. don't ever forget that we are tethered to aa 1-bit universe of information, and that is not much choice. it can't represent time.

I'm just grumpy about all you youngsters ... who have it too easy, and then can't solve the problems that are hard and tethered to the limits of the machines ... and the wires. everything else is just going to be overwritten as we sophisticate and yet, underneath, it's still 1 bit in a reading fame out of which all this springs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't understand your first paragraph. Are you saying the slide show stops at 173 of photos? Is that just while it is running in LR or during export?

I just helped a friend set up a slide show on his iMac with over 400 photos. The slide show video file (1080p) is extremely large and runs for 40 minutes, but it works fine. I'm pretty sure he is on LR 7.4

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also would like to see Adobe 'Smarten Up' the slideshow module to make it work better and faster.

Like KR Seals​ I do not see any limits to the number of photos. I have regularly created slideshows for exhibitions and many are over 400 photos.

Screen Shot 003.JPG

What I dislike is the time it takes to create the videos- Several hours in some cases. I have been letting them run over-night, but that can be annoying.

I also have a slide-show program called 'Pictures to exe' - Just recently this software produced a slideshow of 422 images in ~12 MINUTES!  The slideshow screens for 28minutes. I admit it had JPGs to work with, but in future I will be Exporting from Lightroom and using other software to create large slideshows.

stops at 173 of photos?

That could be ram memory limits, corrupt image files, "missing" images in the Catalog, Vertical format images (that was a bug in LR), and other 'unknowns' even I cannot suggest.

Be aware that the Progress slider (top of screen) will frequently appear to stall or stop for long periods of time (as I have found). Then, given time, it restarts and flies to the end of the Progress bar. Be patient, it might be just stalled before it moves on.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines