Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Let's Object-ify

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone!

Gotta float something here and {perhaps} get some help here...

Trying to create a scene for an animated film that I am working on. This scene takes place in a cemetery during the daylight hours. Part of it {sky and grass} has already been placed. Adding the monument model next. Then one character. Then both. Now I'm having some trouble with the third section {ie the monument}. And here's why...

I decided to create the monument part of the setup myself. So far the monument part of the scene consists of a blank headstone png. Here is what it looks like {the sample is actually jpg}:

GRAVE DRAFT.jpg

Now I know that you can't just take a png, wave a wand and turn it into 3D format. Obviously I need to create a mesh. I can't use the "create mesh from preset" option because you can't create in free form with it. So what's my best option? "3D postcard" or "extrusion"?? 

Get back to me on this,

Thanks!

Dylan Free

PS: I've got a similar scene that involves starting with a 2D backdrop and asking the same question there. This is it:

MOORS AT NIGHT.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It depends whether your camera will move in relation to the object.

If not then you might get away with a postcard or extrusion but you will have to watch the shadows.

If there is any chance that the camera will view the object from a different angle then you need to build it from scratch as a 3D model. Looking at that shape you could break it down into individual shapes and make it with rectangular and circular extruions.  Then combine them into a group.

The best option though is to create it in a 3D application that allows full control over the mesh. There are lots about but Blender is free and powerful.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need do it in Photoshop, try to use Extrusion with selection or layer

Postcard - it's not best solution

Probably the best option is Create Mesh from preset - but this way you need 3D object

Try Extrusion

pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this would be very hard to make in Photoshop because the shapes need to be done in parts... I would make it in Blender or Maya but I know you don't like those softwares so is it something you are happy to pay a few $ for?

Turbosquid has a few gravestones, as does Arteria3d and even Adobe stock has a couple

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-model/grave?synonym=cemetery+grave

Medieval Church & Graveyard Pack – arteria3d

Grave stock 3d assets, models, lights and materials | Adobe Stock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey there!

I actually wouldn't mind using B for A for something like this. But I wouldn't use it for a full character because if the character is painted it ends up losing colour. But for this B For A will prbly work...

Get back to me,

Thanks!

Dylan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines