• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select Subject - Why can't I paint black on mask?

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually extract subjects by slowly masking out the background but I decided to try speed up the process by using Select Subject and then using Select and Mask to make refinements.

I then like to save as a selection with a mask so I can make further refinements using the brush tool.

I have found in two images I worked on this week a horrible anomaly when trying to paint black with a 100% hard brush set at 100% Opacity and 100% Flow to try and sharpen the edges on the black mask. It's as if the brush is working at a lower opacity than 100% (I don't have pen pressure on).  You can see this in the image I've included.

I will probably revert back to the slow process of hand painting accurate, sharp masks with my Wacom pen but is there something I'm missing?

It's rotten and I've found it shows up on subsequent layers.

Thoughts appreciated.

Screen Shot JC.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

This (first) online video lesson is free and demonstrates clearly how to use these new Photoshop CC 2018 tools demonstrating them on three different images: https://www.bringyourownlaptop.com/courses/adobe-photoshop-cc-advanced-training-course-tutorial/the-easiest-way-in-the-w…

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This (first) online video lesson is free and demonstrates clearly how to use these new Photoshop CC 2018 tools demonstrating them on three different images: https://www.bringyourownlaptop.com/courses/adobe-photoshop-cc-advanced-training-course-tutorial/the-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so Adobe has changed something that was so simple and easy, replaced it with a slow VR tool. Why take away the original one? Was that necessary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, and by the way, if you turn on the actual mask, the brush tool works. You just have to toggle it on and off to see your result with your own background. Kind of strange, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines