• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vertical scroll with links in prototypes - not possible?

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a prototype for what will be a long webpage. I set it up multiple ways but cannot get it to function the way I want so I'm not sure it's possible.

The blue is linked!

This is what I want to work, but it only half works

1 long artboard - vertical scrolling on, scrolls but i can't link to anything.

Option 2:

Also created, 8 artboards but positioned them like a vertical scrolling page, made the viewport the entire length of the page.

This will not scroll - it, in this case, dissolves, to the link target (which I understand but it seems my only option). I could use this and just present my work differently but I would rather not.

Option 3:

8 artboards but positioned horizontally like all the examples I see.

Does not vertically scroll

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

The way you're using the term "page" is what confused me. A page for a website is a different page (XD artboard) entirely, not part of the current page. You leave one page and go to another page. XD can link one page (artboard) to another.

What you're describing are links that trigger vertical scrolling within a single page. You want to scroll to a different section of the same page, not go to another page. That feature has not been implemented. You can upvote that feature request here: link to same artboard – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a long vertical scrolling page, you should be using an appropriate height viewport (on a tall artboard) so that you can scroll to see the bottom part of the artboard, as you did in Option 1.

What part of Option 1 is not working for you? You say you can't click anything, but you only made one artboard, so there's nothing to go to. In XD you need to make multiple artboards for different pages, and then link them up in Prototype mode. Keep in mind that XD is for designing sites, not building them. So you can't link out to other websites (if you expected the https link to work at the bottom... it's not going to).

If I misunderstood, please be more specific about what you want to do and what you expect to happen.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for you response!

I have three nav buttons on what we be the homepage (did my link work)?

I just want to make them jump down to the appropriate pages, and then add something that allows you to go back to the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way you're using the term "page" is what confused me. A page for a website is a different page (XD artboard) entirely, not part of the current page. You leave one page and go to another page. XD can link one page (artboard) to another.

What you're describing are links that trigger vertical scrolling within a single page. You want to scroll to a different section of the same page, not go to another page. That feature has not been implemented. You can upvote that feature request here: link to same artboard – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want all that content to be one page on your website, then build each page as a different artboard. Include the navigation on each artboard (consider using a symbol for this) and link between the pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. It's habit to say homepage, but you are correct in assuming I have one page that I wanted to link to other content in.

Thanks for clarifying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No worries. Glad to help out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines