• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting RGB JPEGs instad of YUV/YCbCr. Web browser display issues.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default, Lightroom exports YUV images. The problem is that in all browsers I tried, and simple image viewers (like Windows Photo Viewer), it makes them look very different. Contrast becomes hight and subtles tones disappear. See example:

contrast.PNG

In Lightroom, and software like FastStone Image Viewer, any exported image looks all right. Only after I converted the images to RGB through the aforementioned FastStone did it start to display well in browsers.

For the record, I export in the sRGB colorspace, so that is not the issue here.

2 questions:

• Is it possible to export RGB JPEGs straight out of Lightroom?
  • If not, is it possible to circumvent this issue somehow else? Maybe some export settings.

I noticed that on Flickr all images I checked were YUV. But none of them suffered from these contrast issues.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

This is most likely due to using a Version 4 display profile, which isn't compatible with Windows Photo Viewer. If you're using a monitor calibrator change its software preferences to 'Matrix' and 'Version 2' settings and create a new display profile. If you don't use a calibrator try changing the display profile to sRGB using Control Panel> Color Management as shown below. You'll need to 'Add' the sRGB profile and check 'Use my settings for this device. Close and restart Lightroom and other pho

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is most likely due to using a Version 4 display profile, which isn't compatible with Windows Photo Viewer. If you're using a monitor calibrator change its software preferences to 'Matrix' and 'Version 2' settings and create a new display profile. If you don't use a calibrator try changing the display profile to sRGB using Control Panel> Color Management as shown below. You'll need to 'Add' the sRGB profile and check 'Use my settings for this device. Close and restart Lightroom and other photo applications and browsers to load the new sRGB display profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This solved the problem for me.

However, won't this still be a problem for people viewing the images on other devices, who might also not have their colors properly configured? RGB seemed to be universally safe. Am I misunderstanding something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DwarfVader  wrote

However, won't this still be a problem for people viewing the images on other devices, who might also not have their colors properly configured? RGB seemed to be universally safe. Am I misunderstanding something?

We get similar complaints all the time in the forums and they are usually due to an incompatible monitor profile installed during a Windows 10 update or upgrade. The best solution is to only use ICC Version 2 display profiles. Even Lightroom had issues with ICC Version 4 monitor profiles, but this appears to be fixed on current OS X systems. Don't know about Windows 7, 8, and 10 though. Fully color managed browsers like Safari and FireFox) are compatible with ICC version 4 monitor profiles, which is why you didn't see the issue with Flickr posted YUV images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the info. For the record, I use Windows 7.

I am still not 100% clear on how this works - on the same Firefox installation, I was seeing Flickr images properly, but local JPEGs were displayed wrong. But, in any case. I changed to color profile and my JPEGs started displaying fine on my PC. I checked other computers and phones without adjusting any color profiles, and the uploaded JPG that displayed poorly on my PC all displayed just fine there.

However, there's one thing that still isn't working out for me. On my website, I have automatic thumbnail generation. When I upload YUV images, it compresses them into a contrast-y mess. When I convert them into RGB beforehand, it creates thumbnails just fine. But that I will have to figure out with the Imagick scripts. I use a Koken CMS at the moment. If I figure anything out, I'll update this post (unless they close this thread beforehand).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DwarfVader  wrote

I am still not 100% clear on how this works - on the same Firefox installation, I was seeing Flickr images properly, but local JPEGs were displayed wrong. But, in any case. I changed to color profile and my JPEGs started displaying fine on my PC. I checked other computers and phones without adjusting any color profiles, and the uploaded JPG that displayed poorly on my PC all displayed just fine there.

Make sure you are using the latest FireFox version with the below about:config settings. By default FF will use the assigned system monitor profile so no need to enter a string value. In general people using standard gamut displays will see sRGB images correctly with both managed and unmanaged color applications. The exception as already mentioned is when using ICC version 4 display profiles with incompatible viewers (i.e. Windows Photo Viewer). More information here:

BEST FIREFOX TEST PAGE How To Enable FULL COLOR MANAGEMENT of ICC Profiles in FF31 Fire Fox thru FF ...

DwarfVader  wrote

However, there's one thing that still isn't working out for me. On my website, I have automatic thumbnail generation. When I upload YUV images, it compresses them into a contrast-y mess. When I convert them into RGB beforehand, it creates thumbnails just fine. But that I will have to figure out with the Imagick scripts. I use a Koken CMS at the moment. If I figure anything out, I'll update this post (unless they close this thread beforehand).

To the best of my knowledge there's no way to create an RGB transform JPEG file using LR or PS. The default setting is YCbCr 4:4:4, which can't be changed to RGB. If this was causing a major compatibility issue the Adobe forums would be loaded with complaints similar to yours....and they aren't. Other than using FastStone to create RGB JPEGs you might try contacting Koken Tech Support and see if they have a solution. Please keep us posted on your findings. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines