• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is this laptop powerful enough to run Premiere Pro?

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am planning to buy a new laptop, so I can edit a few short films I have been working on.

Here are the specs for it:

HP Envy 17 Laptop - 17.3" Edge-to-Edge IPS TouchScreen Full HD (1920x1080), 8th Gen Quad-Core i7-8550U, 16GB DDR4, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA MX150, IR Camera, Backlit, Windows 10

Is this a good laptop to run premiere pro for what I am trying to accomplish?

Thank you in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to hardware forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the "all-core" Turbo frequency of that i7-8550U is 3.7 GHz, you should see CPU-only render performance at least the equal of the previous-generation i7-7700HQ. (That is, if you keep that laptop plugged into an AC wall outlet and disable most of the laptop's power-saving features.) You will almost certainly be held back by that 5400 RPM hard drive, so I would also recommend getting a USB-C external SSD for that laptop.

And the GeForce MX150 might hold back your laptop's GPU-accelerated performance somewhat – but this is relative to those of higher-end GPUs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. I was planning on getting another external drive in the near future. But with this set up can the program run decently without the worries of it crashing, freezing, slow uploads and renderings or any drastic under performance issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify what RjL190365 said:

(That is, if you keep that laptop plugged into an AC wall outlet and disable most of the laptop's power-saving features.)

In case you are not aware of it, when a laptop is on battery power, the processor gets throttled back to a much slower processor speed, which will greatly affect performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I did not know that. I guess I just want to know, if the specs on this laptop shows that it would run some what smooth?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tl55323812  wrote

I just want to know, if the specs on this laptop shows that it would run some what smooth?

Without a fast external drive, it won't be a happy editing experience.

What type of media will you be using?

What effects will you be using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most MPEG-4 for now and just a few transitions. Maybe some green screen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tl55323812  wrote

Most MPEG-4 for now 

What codec?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H.264

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not get smooth playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That can be fixed with a fast enough external hardrive, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. H.264, and especially 4k H.265, sources require a CPU that's even more powerful than the most powerful mobile CPUs on the market; in fact, even an 8- to 10-core desktop CPU may be too weak for that source material. Nothing can change that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well that sounds like out of my budget for the moment. But I'll keep that in mind when it's time to buy myself a desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines